serious oil leak

post-13005-1227474729_thumb.jpg

hi new to the forum hallo to everyone hope you can help i have a 200tdi out of a discovery that leaks oil as quick as i put it in took the engine out of my 90 with a view to replacing the rear crankshaft oil seal it wasnt leaking from there but behind the back plate so assumed it was the gasket but where the crank end is there is a hole or oilway that goes into the sump ive been told this is meant to have a rubber bung to seal it off the engine leaked the day i fitted it over a year ago i want to know is it possible to seal it permantly with silicone or does it need the bung cause of pressure build up in sump sorry for being such a long winded question cheers all

leave the 2 recess marked with yellow on picture as they are, but seal the red hole, this should be filled with a T shaped seal when the main bearing cap is bolted into place. the workshop manual page shows the T shaped seal location, they cannot be replaced with the engine in the vehicle, as the sump & ladder frame have to be removed.

post-20-1227475902.jpg

post-20-1227476239_thumb.jpg

hi cheers for advice there is a rubber seal either side of the end crank where you have marked in red the recesses with yellow the one in the middle has the hole right through to the sump about 8mm in dia i cant see any reason for it but the workshop manual shows a rubber bung to seal it

hi all starting to think i imagined the rubber bung in the workshop manual made lots of calls today to various engineers all have said the end crank is running in oil so i must have a perfect seal between engine a back plate as well as end crank a oilseal will fit tomorrow cheers for all the help