IRD Heat Exchanger plate

EggNChips

All,

First post so please be gentle with me :) Just got myself a 99 XEDI Freelander that has a broken IRD unit. Going to rebuild it myself, just struggling to get the heat exchenger off without dmanging it. Anyone got any tips as to how to get it off without damaging it.

Is it pressed in place and does it have any kind of adhesive holding it in place?

EggNChips

i havent had to take mine off [so far], checked in my Haynes book of lies, no picture of the heat exchanger only a schematic of the cooling system, however there is no torque setting listed for the H/E fixings if any, so you could be right about it being glued on however you would probably best wait for someone who knows just about everything about freelanders like Jules to come along for a definative answer

EggNChips

i havent had to take mine off [so far], checked in my Haynes book of lies, no picture of the heat exchanger only a schematic of the cooling system, however there is no torque setting listed for the H/E fixings if any, so you could be right about it being glued on however you would probably best wait for someone who knows just about everything about freelanders like Jules to come along for a definative answer

Thanks for the reply, have you taken your IRD box off? Just in the process of getting mine off now, do you have to drop the cross member?

• 1 month later...
All,

First post so please be gentle with me :) Just got myself a 99 XEDI Freelander that has a broken IRD unit. Going to rebuild it myself, just struggling to get the heat exchenger off without dmanging it. Anyone got any tips as to how to get it off without damaging it.

Is it pressed in place and does it have any kind of adhesive holding it in place?

hi Im sorry can'not help you with your problem, can you help me with mine, my name is maureen, I have a freelander on a w reg, bad news I took it to marshalls today my Ird box has gone Its going to cost a lot of money to have done, can you tell me what this is Ird box

IRD = Intermediate Reduction Drive

It takes the place of the transfer box on other Landys and tranmits drive through the front driveshafts to the front wheels whilst at the same time providing a drive output via the prop shaft and VCU (Viscous Coupling Unit) to the rear differential and then on via rear drive shafts to the rear wheels.

Freelanders pre 2001 (correct me if wrong...) had a final drive gear ratio fitted that could cause 'transmission wind up' - simply the rear wheels being drive put too much stress on the IRD via VCU and things go bang. Apparently fixed after this date with a modified gear ratio in rear diff.

Unfort if it is faulty then likely cause is a failed VCU so also may need replacing. Expensive I'm afraid.

Front sub frame needs removal according to Haynes and RAVE.

IRD = Intermediate Reduction Drive

It takes the place of the transfer box on other Landys and tranmits drive through the front driveshafts to the front wheels whilst at the same time providing a drive output via the prop shaft and VCU (Viscous Coupling Unit) to the rear differential and then on via rear drive shafts to the rear wheels.

Freelanders pre 2001 (correct me if wrong...) had a final drive gear ratio fitted that could cause 'transmission wind up' - simply the rear wheels being drive put too much stress on the IRD via VCU and things go bang. Apparently fixed after this date with a modified gear ratio in rear diff.

Unfort if it is faulty then likely cause is a failed VCU so also may need replacing. Expensive I'm afraid.

Front sub frame needs removal according to Haynes and RAVE.

Hi All.

This may sound like a daft question so sorry if it is..... It is regarding the IRD and the transmision. Is the Freelander a constant four wheel drive? OR is the drive throught the front (or rear) wheels and then if the going gets sticky do the rear (or front) wheels then automatically go into drive mode? Or am I miles away?

Rustymark, will my X reg TD4 have had this modifacation done?

Canon can (always trying to learn a bit more)

Hi!

There is a way to check if final drive has been changed for the newer ratio one - go for a run in the car and when at 70mph in 5th check rev counter. If you're at 3000 rpm or below then final drive is new ratio - if its 3300 or thereabouts then its the older one.

The freelander is permanent 4wd. However - when used on road and in most situations it is heavily biased to FWD. Drive is transferred via prop shaft and VCU to rear when slip is detected and you then get drive pushing you out.

To see find some nice smooth damp grass. Engage first and see all 4 wheels turning! No I'm not recommending you go to the nearest golf course!

And if you're not asleep by now they do fairly well off road with the right tyres - I've had some fun in mine on North York Moors - but if you are tempted never go it alone off road - if you get stuck you will need another vehicle to tow you out or get help - and - go on an off road course - its a different driving style.