Disco II - Clutch/Gearbox niggle

Andy J

Hi all,

my Disco II (04 plate) was bought with about 45,000 miles on the clock. I have a couple of niggling problems that may or may not be connected

1. I find that it is a little notchy getting into 2nd gear (all other gears are fine)

2. When moving off from a standing start, there is a bit of a judder when letting the clutch out

I have read bits n bobs about the forums but i just wondered if i have a clutch problem in general and if so how can it be fixed. I have read some posts about replacing the gearbox oil which might help with the notchy gear change but am a little sceptical about this. Im not sure if i picked up between the lines of a few threads that there may have been a generic problem with some Disco II's like this

Anyone got any info/advice they can offer?

Thanks

Andy

The dual mass flywheel could be causing the judder, or maybe a bit of oil on the clutch.

2nd gear notchiness could also be related to that but is not an uncommon issue on any Land Rover gearbox so it may just be down to lousy gearchanges by the first owner having not helped the synchromeshes on 2nd. I read somewhere once that the reason it is usually 2nd which goes is because the 1st/2nd change is the one where the synchros have to match the greatest difference in speeds or some such logic, and if you think about how most people drive that sort of makes sense.