Paint advice.

Hi

Need a wee bit advice aboot the old problem of the alloy worm eating my landy.

Got my 110 its my pride and joy i love the thing spend alot of time on her and took the last month to hand brush a shed load of waxoil on her chassis aswell as the inner chassis.

She has been sitting about 6 months though took her to bits to do some other restoration work and on the side the wind blows most on my drive there are the odd bubbles apperaing not much at all but the old girl had a full respray a few years back and i dont want her rotting away.

Ok here is what i have done. The inner doors are getting a good dose of clear waxoil. Going to coat evrything you dont see inside or behind door cards in the clear stuff. The bulkhead is getting the same treatment on the inside behind the dash. The parts that are what i call outside meeting the selas the lower halfs of the dooors etc will get the original black waxoil you wont see it so im gona give it agood protection. Hinges have been treat in curust and then the bolts removed and replaced with galvanised then greased.

Ok the bubbles i did notice not much a little bit in the area about 3 inches below the bottom of the window and a few smal bubbles at the corners of the doors. Here is my thinking say if im wrong. I rubbed of the paint sanded into the bubbles and until i can get a paint touchup pen have weekly sprayed WD40 into the efffected areas. Finallly should i get the wolf wheels sprayed or poweder coated?.

I will get it sorted right but for now i gota just slow it down the old girl has a few more weeks atleast of tinkering till im happy enough to allow her to be trashed by the acid **** they spray on our roads. Id really appriciate any advice.

Oh dont knolw if you mind my post on the 90td i bought well that wee girl is getting the same treatement as soon as the 110 is on the road she comes of and i have a full rebuild in store for her. Have really got into the retoration process love spending my weekends under the landys tinkering fixing and making them run good. 25-30mpg so far oots the smoky td engine ;) .Total novice really but i do read alot and take on all tips and follow them through if proven.

Cheers

Scott

post-11538-1227657566_thumb.jpg

post-11538-1227657678_thumb.jpg

Hi

Need a wee bit advice aboot the old problem of the alloy worm eating my landy.

Got my 110 its my pride and joy i love the thing spend alot of time on her and took the last month to hand brush a shed load of waxoil on her chassis aswell as the inner chassis.

She has been sitting about 6 months though took her to bits to do some other restoration work and on the side the wind blows most on my drive there are the odd bubbles apperaing not much at all but the old girl had a full respray a few years back and i dont want her rotting away.

Ok here is what i have done. The inner doors are getting a good dose of clear waxoil. Going to coat evrything you dont see inside or behind door cards in the clear stuff. The bulkhead is getting the same treatment on the inside behind the dash. The parts that are what i call outside meeting the selas the lower halfs of the dooors etc will get the original black waxoil you wont see it so im gona give it agood protection. Hinges have been treat in curust and then the bolts removed and replaced with galvanised then greased.

Ok the bubbles i did notice not much a little bit in the area about 3 inches below the bottom of the window and a few smal bubbles at the corners of the doors. Here is my thinking say if im wrong. I rubbed of the paint sanded into the bubbles and until i can get a paint touchup pen have weekly sprayed WD40 into the efffected areas. Finallly should i get the wolf wheels sprayed or poweder coated?.

I will get it sorted right but for now i gota just slow it down the old girl has a few more weeks atleast of tinkering till im happy enough to allow her to be trashed by the acid **** they spray on our roads. Id really appriciate any advice.

Oh dont knolw if you mind my post on the 90td i bought well that wee girl is getting the same treatement as soon as the 110 is on the road she comes of and i have a full rebuild in store for her. Have really got into the retoration process love spending my weekends under the landys tinkering fixing and making them run good. 25-30mpg so far oots the smoky td engine ;) .Total novice really but i do read alot and take on all tips and follow them through if proven.

Cheers

Scott

I have been looking at some US stuff imaginatively called Fluid Film. Its sold by www.rust.co.uk (its not on the website but look in the pdf catalogue). The US co website is http://www.eurekafluidfilm.com/. They also quote a dealer in the uk called marineco see http://www.marineco.co.uk/Pages/Fluid%20Fi...luid%20Film.htm, who also sell the stuff at about £27 for the 3.39 l size, but it is supposed to slow down galvanic corrosion, and there are some good reports from us sites. Maybe that would fit your requirement for something to postpone the inevitable. I must admit I have used Waxoyl for many years, and though it's ok, I think it must be possible to do better - I've been looking at Sander's grease and 2-pack epoxy paints (especially Jotan) as better alternatives to traditional gloops. I anyone has any experience of any of these things I'd be interested to hear.

Nigel

Thanks Nigel

Looks interesting stuff indeed. Will look into getting some for the bodywork. I Know its gona happen cant help it really but if i could slow it down atleast would make me worry less. Do like my waxoil though especially for the chassis find hand brushing it on very relaxing and gives a really good thick almost plastic coat effect when it drys. Use a high pressure tube blocked at the end and peirced the last 4 inches so i can pass it right into the chassis. Usually put 5ltrs on the outside and same again on the inside. Then 5ltrs of clear waxoil on the bodywork sections mentioned. Just the outside so ill see what that stuff is like might be just what i was hoping for.

Cheers

Scott