200tdi Running Hot - Update - Goes Up In Smoke!

I guess the temp gauge going almost up to the red before backing off was good warning sign then.

Yes the 110 certainly let go in style this morning. There was that much white smoke I couldn't see out of the windows when I got to work (the first day starting my new job as well - a bit embarassing). Haven't had time to survey the damage yet as had to abandon it in car park but a quick look revealed plenty of coolant sprayed about under the bonnet. I reckon the best case scenario is head gasket but the head itself may be knackered or worse. Judging by the amount of white smoke there must have been plenty of water in the bores, there was also blue smoke evident as well. Renewed the head gasket almost exactly a year ago, took my time and thought I'd done a decent job (put in recon injectors as it had gone through the back of No.4 which I believe is a sign they are faulty), guess Iwon't know what went wrong until it comes off again.

Think I might get the head reconditioned by Turners if its still in one piece as the vehicle is used for our annual holiday France so I want it to be reliable. Anybody used them, gas flowed head also worth a look?

Anyway if you notice the temp creeping up higer than usual and excessive pressure in the cooling system when cold beware!

Engine has done 155,000 and uses a fair amount of oil, a lot of which seems to end up in the turbo, air filter and intercooler - do you think its time for reconditioning?

Any tips for doing head gaskets or other possible causes much appreciated.

Hope your day was better than mine

Mark

I guess the temp gauge going almost up to the red before backing off was good warning sign then.

Yes the 110 certainly let go in style this morning. There was that much white smoke I couldn't see out of the windows when I got to work (the first day starting my new job as well - a bit embarassing). Haven't had time to survey the damage yet as had to abandon it in car park but a quick look revealed plenty of coolant sprayed about under the bonnet. I reckon the best case scenario is head gasket but the head itself may be knackered or worse. Judging by the amount of white smoke there must have been plenty of water in the bores, there was also blue smoke evident as well. Renewed the head gasket almost exactly a year ago, took my time and thought I'd done a decent job (put in recon injectors as it had gone through the back of No.4 which I believe is a sign they are faulty), guess Iwon't know what went wrong until it comes off again.

Think I might get the head reconditioned by Turners if its still in one piece as the vehicle is used for our annual holiday France so I want it to be reliable. Anybody used them, gas flowed head also worth a look?

Anyway if you notice the temp creeping up higer than usual and excessive pressure in the cooling system when cold beware!

Engine has done 155,000 and uses a fair amount of oil, a lot of which seems to end up in the turbo, air filter and intercooler - do you think its time for reconditioning?

Any tips for doing head gaskets or other possible causes much appreciated.

Hope your day was better than mine

Mark

OUCH, well i guess you wont be changing the temp sender!

what you have explained on here.. i have none of them, so it must of been i sign.

im not gunna lie, i would say a engine recon job, you dont knwo if there is any damage to the cylinders, con rods, ect.

Turners (IMHO) top notch service and quality

May be worth ringing them for a chat before you jump to a conclusion as to what it is / they may have some knowledge to help ?

But, can't fault the quality and repuation they have is hard earned and genuine

Nige

Sounds good but a full engine recon on a 1991 110 is going to be pretty pricey, then theres the chassis which really needs replacing, B-Posts and when I looked the other day the aluminium floor area under the second row seats seems to be turning to powder!

Still I can't think of a better vehicle for touring through Europe carrying canoes, fishing tackle, climbing equipment, bodyboards, camping gear etc.etc.

I suppose if the jobs done properly it should be good for another 150,000+

Maybe time for that full restoration we all dream of. I might even be able to get the new doors to shut properly if everythings stripped down and realigned!

I've spoke to the people from Turners before and they seemed very helpful I'll certainly give them a ring when I get the head off.

Cheers

Mark