Disco 200tdi Head On Defender Block?

200Tdi heads are common to 200Tdi engines,

I'm sure LR wouldn't make 2 heads for the same diesel engine, even a 300Tdi head will fit.

Just a straight swap then? I'm sure I remember somebody telling me there were some slight differences, thermostat housing or something?

If it will fit thats great as Les Henson has good one for sale.

mark

The thermostat housing isn't the head.....

The head will fit straight on, but all of the ancillaries (alternator, thermostat housing, water pump, turbo, timing chest, bellhousing) are either different or mounted in different places/positions.

The answer to your question is yes, as long as you bolt all of the Defender bits onto the disco head...

I have recently turned a Disco engine into a Defender one and the block and head are interchangeable.. I was lucky in that I had both in front of me and complete, so it was a case of bolting the Defender bits onto the Discovery block...

The thermostat housing isn't the head.....

The head will fit straight on, but all of the ancillaries (alternator, thermostat housing, water pump, turbo, timing chest, bellhousing) are either different or mounted in different places/positions.

The answer to your question is yes, as long as you bolt all of the Defender bits onto the disco head...

I have recently turned a Disco engine into a Defender one and the block and head are interchangeable.. I was lucky in that I had both in front of me and complete, so it was a case of bolting the Defender bits onto the Discovery block...

Might be worth me considering buying a cheap disco and swapping the defender ancillaries on to it if my engine turns out to be knackered. I'll be looking at mine first thing in the morning so I'll decide what to do when the extent of the damage is known. Cheers for the advice, nice to know it can be done.

Mark

One word of warning.......there is a gasket that goes behind the tensioner bolt (between the block and the timing chest)........make sure you get one and fit it in the right place.........otherwise you will take it apart to find the oil leak 3, possibly 4 times, before you find it.......

Don't ask how I know!!!!!!!

Don't ask WALFY, either!!!!! :ph34r::hysterical:

One word of warning.......there is a gasket that goes behind the tensioner bolt (between the block and the timing chest)........make sure you get one and fit it in the right place.........otherwise you will take it apart to find the oil leak 3, possibly 4 times, before you find it.......

Don't ask how I know!!!!!!!

Don't ask WALFY, either!!!!! :ph34r::hysterical:

Is that the timing belt tensioner pulley bolt? I presume thats a defender part or is it common to both. Cheers for the tip!

Is that the timing belt tensioner pulley bolt? I presume thats a defender part or is it common to both. Cheers for the tip!

that gasket is only visible when the timing case is removed from the front of the engine. I would expect it to be common to both versions of the 200Tdi. it's not shown on the timing case/belt page of the parts book/microcat as it comes in the engine block gasket kit. it is definitly fitted on the Defender spec engine.

that gasket is only visible when the timing case is removed from the front of the engine. I would expect it to be common to both versions of the 200Tdi. it's not shown on the timing case/belt page of the parts book/microcat as it comes in the engine block gasket kit. it is definitly fitted on the Defender spec engine.

Cheers thats useful to know