New intercooler

Hello one and all,

Well I'm ironing out the flat spots in my 300 tdi disco engined and gearbox and transfer boxed defender.

I have a couple of flat spots between the gears and I'd like to fit a full width intercooler then get the truck rolling roaded to tweek the fuel pump and the turbo properly.

However can anyone recomend anywhere to get a good intercooler and fitting kit from?

Also, I know it's been covered many times but can you give me your experiences of the difference it's made in performance and fuel economy.

Thanks

Andi

Guest diesel_jim

I can vouch for allisport stuff, very good quality.

However.... you say you've got flat spots.... is this just general "underpower" (maybe because you're running big tyres/heavy rollcage/carrying lots of stuff) or an actual "stuttering" of the engine (i.e. a mechanical fault?)??

If it's the latter, then fitting the big intercooler and tweeking the boost/fuelling isn't really curing the problem, i'd look more closely at the engine itself and what's causing the flat spots.... Tdi's normally pull pretty well and seamlessly through the rev range.

Could be the lift pump not giving enough fuel (cheap and easy to change) or the FIP itself might have a fault.

Have you fitted a new filter? kinked pipe anywhere? simple things like this are cheap and easy to check.

No it's just I've driven a few standard 300 tdi's with 265/75/16's on and they all seem to have a flat spot between 2-3 not major just noticible.

Everything on the engine and the fuel system is new (at least once- rubbish britpart items have been replaced a couple of times) etc.

Brunel intercooler in my 300Tdi 110 and I very highly recommend them!

For me, no improvement in fuel economy, but I do use the extra power.

I can't be certain of the EXACT power improvements as I haven't rolling-roaded my 110 yet, but you should notice a something akin to releasing a binding brake.