Health conscious cigarette lighter

disco calla

Does it stay in when pushed?? If not, the plug is knackered.

Try taking the unit out (should just be a wiggle and pull job) and, with your trusty multimeter, see if you've got 12v across the terminals with the ignition on.

If yes, it's the whole unit - about £4 from VWP

If no, there's a break in the wiring somewhere...

HTH

Adrian

• 4 weeks later...

i nicked the power from the clock illumination as it comes on with the ignition and it is only the other side of the heater controls, a few minutes fiddling and a small lenght of wire added and it reaches

my clock never worked properly anyway,

and i cant read the time :lol:. pplus id rather be able to use the cigarette lighter socket to play my ipod than tell the time

mikey

i took the 2 plugs off the back of mine.. turned the one with 2 connectors round so only the earth was on and connected the live from the illuminated bit to the live on the lighter........ just had to put my lights on so i could use the sat nav or ciggie lighter!!

I am a fine one to talk when it comes to electrics (it's all smoke and mirrors, you know!!), but if you have taken a 12v feed from somewhere else (illumination or clock) be careful what you plug into it.

I regularly use an airbed pump and an inspection lamp from my cigar lighter and the small wiring won't cope with that sort of load. The original wires will have been sized as they are for a reason.

Don't want to teach others to suck eggs, but there's an awful lot of stuff behind the dash that could go up in smoke if the worst should happen...

I am a fine one to talk when it comes to electrics (it's all smoke and mirrors, you know!!), but if you have taken a 12v feed from somewhere else (illumination or clock) be careful what you plug into it.

I regularly use an airbed pump and an inspection lamp from my cigar lighter and the small wiring won't cope with that sort of load. The original wires will have been sized as they are for a reason.

Don't want to teach others to suck eggs, but there's an awful lot of stuff behind the dash that could go up in smoke if the worst should happen...

ive used my c.b radio on a cigarette lighter plug since i got it and ive never had any problems, i am going to get round to wiring it up properly one day. but its just one of those thing you never do

like putting the rest of the chequer plate on my disco (its only on 1 side due to the fact that it needs grinding down because it doesent fit between the plastic strip and the sill which is a manufacture error on the car not the chequre plate :P

the same with my detachable towbar project, rock sliders, and many other small things.

mikey