indicators and hazards, please help thanks

Matty

hi all please help me with my disco it needs MOT(ing) before christmas :(

and thanks in advance for replies

i have a 97 3.9 v8 disco and the the indicators and hazards have stopped working :(

ive had the hazards switch out and made a fused (5a) wire to make my own connection to test bulbs etc

i made live to left indicator which illuminated all left side with out flashing (ok)

same for right side (ok)

when i made live to relay/flasher, then put the left indicator on the stalk, this should make the left indicators flash right ? but when i did this i heard a pop and since whenever i do it a red warning triangle comes up on the dashboard

when i plug the hazard switch back in and press (on) i can still here the relay/flasher click (only once) so does this me the hazard switch is ok?

and same when i put the left indicator or right indicator on it just clicks once

so does this mean the relay/flasher is working? but i took it out and something is rattling inside

so my question is is it the relay/flasher that is buggered or the hazard switch or maybe something else ? and the pop i heard was me when i made my wired connection, so what poped ? all fuses are fine, and if it was the relay/flasher that poped then what was the problem before?

i only have a limited knowledge of car electrics, so i'm assuming the flasher unit and relay and the same thing ? ? or are they seperate; but since i took it out i'm not getting the "click" anymore which makes me think they are

thanks again, and hope iv'e made this post easy to understand :D