200tdi issues!

hello everyone,

i just wanted to share my days experiences! and ask for some advice/help :)

well to set the scene, i was driving down the M4 home, at about 65-70mph in the middle lane, when the engine seemed to lose power/cut out, at first i thought that the gearbox had jumped out of gear, (since i heard a bit of clunk, like it popping outta gear) so my first reaction was to clutch in and engage 5th gear, however 5th gear was still engaged so it wasnt the gearbox.

after letting the clutch out and re-engaging the engine she ran ok for a while. it then did this another 2-3 times, so four times in total. so thinkings enoughs, enough i pulled over and had a look in the engine bay again, not sure what i was looking for but just looked for anything obvious, like collapsed hoses or fuel leaking from somewhere. - found nowt!

so i continued from port talbot to fishguard, west wales taking my time (55-60) and she drove fine!

i havent had time to take a proper look yet, but i was thinking that i'll check the filter for water, check the fuel lines (forward to aft) for any leaks and the sedimenter bowl to see whats in there.

also i was thinking it may be that my hoses have de-laminated, since when i was going fast (70mph) the turbo sucked them closed, starving the engine or air, and then when i released and re-engaged the gearbox this took the engine offload to onload thus letting the hose/s pop back out, and then when i was taking my time the turbo didnt work up enough suction to bring to suck the hoses closed again.

well i hope that makes sense, any ideas or thoughts are welcome. im going to have a look at it tomorrow to see if i can find anything.

thanks in advance and merry christmas.

oh and on the side, the oil pressure light seems to come on for about 5 seconds or so, does anyone with a 200tdi find this? it has normally cleared the very instant the engine fires, is this a sign or a worn engine or just because its cold the oil is more viscous and the pump is finding it harder to get suction??

sorry for the long post and i appreciate any responces :)

jase

As long as the Oil light goes out within 5 secs of starting theres nothinbg to worry about, oil when thicker will take a bit more to prime so the cold could slow it down slightly. As regards to the running fault, i would place my money on water in the fuel or even a nasty spurt of fuel. I would take all the turbo hoses off and check them and also since the pipes are off you might aswell pull the intercooler out and flush it clean!