problems with fuel

clemo2k1

hi all ive got a problem with fuel starvation my 300 tdi disco strugles to rev or revs intermitantly when started from cold then is ok once warm but does the same thing if accelarated hard to around 3000 rpm theres also a ticking noise thats comming from the injector pump area that gets quicker as i rev the engine. has anyone got any tests i can do to check the injector pump of r narrow the problem down

hi all ive got a problem with fuel starvation my 300 tdi disco strugles to rev or revs intermitantly when started from cold then is ok once warm but does the same thing if accelarated hard to around 3000 rpm theres also a ticking noise thats comming from the injector pump area that gets quicker as i rev the engine. has anyone got any tests i can do to check the injector pump of r narrow the problem down

My wife's disco 300tdi, struggles to rev from cold start, but once revs hit 3,000 on a rev-up, fine from then on.

Other causes, possibly a leaky lift pump, fuel running back to tank & then needing pulling back.

Lift pumps are either £15 for cheap carp or £25 ish for a good one - go for the better one.

Change fuel filter & remove & empty the carp trap under the tank. . . . remove the trap bowl, don't bother to try & undo the plastic screw, it'll probably break off & ideally the trap needs emptying out.

Re cost of lift pump . . . . it' so cheap anyway & easy to do - just do it any way.

Bleed the fuel system & bleed the injectors also - with a rag over the injector when you crack it off.

The ticking noise - this could be not what you're thinking. . . . .

My wife's disco had a failed spring in the vacuum pump - next to the lift pump.

This ticked like hell, sounded like the biggest cam failure/valve clearence issue you ever heard.

If you press the break pedal hard 6 times in quick succession & start losing break effectiveness, then it's a fair bet the vac pump is failing,

or remove it, start up & listen for noise. refit straight away ofter, as oil will spray from hole in block.

costs =

lift pump £25

fuel filter £6

clear carp trap £0

either way, doing these will not do the engine any harm & probably overdue any way.

Filthy

theres a metal fuel filter attached to the chassis right next to the rear drivers side wheel,

this can go rusty and let in air. it is quite a common roblem and my 200tdi disco haad the same problem when i bought it.

you can fix it by bypassing it as theres another filter in the engine bay so it is a bit useless really

i have done that and i havent had a problem since

mikey