Play with Tay - in a Disco 300tdi and an SII

ThreeSheds

Over the holiday (on 28th Dec specifically) I went along with my brother-in-law John, to a P&P day with his club - the Tay 4x4 Off Road Club and had a great time. There was free food and soup and a nice slate quarry to play in and all for a very modest outlay :)

The best bit was that I got to drive Johns daily-drive 300tdi Disco while he lead the way in his SII 88. Well I didn't want to damage the Disco you see, so this way if I ripped anything off it was his fault for leading me into it ;)

This follow-my-leader approach allowed for a direct comparison between the abilities of the SII on reasonable off-road tyres and the Disco on what may kindly be described as AT's. Put simply, the Disco only got stuck once, and that was where the SII had got stuck too so no disgrace there then - although John was obviously avoiding the areas where he thought the Disco might have problems, but still, the Disco happily chugged over anything I pointed it at in low-box 2nd and all on only a reasonable or zero throttle. It was alltogether most impressive...

John then had a go in the Disco (he has not off-roaded it before) and declared it all too easy and no fun and promptly returned to the 88 :lol:

The most impressive moment for me, was when John in the 88 drove slowly down a steep twisting descent and slewed sideways quite dramatically on the bend.. The disco, in first low and with feet off just drove slowly down with no fuss or drama whatsoever.

So: I would like to register here the following comments about the day:

1. Thanks to John for letting me drive the Disco.

2. Thanks to Tay 4x4 for being such a friendly and welcoming bunch.

3. That I am BL@@DY IMPRESSED with the offroad abilities of a standard, road-going 300tdi Disco that took three people, three dogs and mountains of luggage on a 250 mile motorway trip in comfort and style the very next day!

Roger