roof light bar question

maxtherotti

Depends what type of lights you have and where they are mounted....

My RR had rectangular Ring lights mounted at the front of the roof hanging down over the top edge of the windscreen - they were damn useful when the interior light stopped working!! Fitting a bottom shield would have helped.

If you mount them further back along the roof, you will get less light falling onto the bonnet. Take a piece of string and line up the front edge of the bonnet with the front edge of the roof. Put a couple of lights on your bar and get a second pair of hands to hold/move it around. Extend the line backwards to the bottom of the lights and that is approximately where you want to mount it. Might be easier with a pair of G-clamps and a pair of test wires as you can then power up the lights to make sure they are in the right place.

HTH

Adrian

i have the wires on my disco running up the N/S door pillar, as i have the aux fuses in the glovebox and the switches on the roof by the interior light (2 switches, one to isolate them from main beam, and one so they can be run independently from the main lights), fed from the 2nd battery. planning to drill the roof, then use a grommet and some silicone to stop it leaking.

if you have a snorkel then run the wires up the inside of the snorkel tube.

As Disco Al has done, my wires were run up the door pillar in some conduit, held down with some P-clips.

I wired them up as 2 pairs (so 2 supplies from the battery, 2 earths and 2 relays) but had only one switch (on-off) on the dash. This was mainly due to the fact that I didn't have enough suitable wire in stock to be able to wire them all up together. Plenty of smaller stuff, though, so went that route. I did plan to put in a second switch in (off-mom or replace the original with an on-off-mom one) to allow me to flash them, but never got round to it.

The trouble with running the wires up the inside of a snorkel is that at some stage you have to get them into the snorkel, creating another possible leak point...

I have done as Disco Al says. The wires out of the lights, I have run through the inside of the lightbar, fiddly but very tidy. I then drilled a bigger hole on the inside of the left leg opposite the roof and pulled the wires out through there. A hole was drilled into the roof so that the wires could be inserted through a grommet and down the A Pillar. YOu will have to undo some of the bolts holding the roof shelf to get at the wires. Again, this is a little fiddly but well worth the effort. Internal connection are all the standard setup. Just make sure you use plenty of silicon sealant to bung the hole in the roof up. I did mine a couple of years ago and it is still more waterproof than most Disco sunroofs LOL

• 3 weeks later...
hi all just a quick question :rolleyes:

do rrc,s suffer with the bonnet/dash glare that the discoveries seem to get when using roof mounted light bars??

thanks chaps

rob

Max have you mounted them? How far back? How did you run wiring? Any chance of a pic?

Will :blink: