Isuzu 4JB1 onto lt77 clutch woes!

orangemach5

Hi all,

Just in the process of fitting a 4JB1 to my rangerover which has the long stick LT77, i bought the engine with a conversion kit already fitted and attached to another LT. When i split the supplied box from the engine the ball that clutch fork pivots on just fell out, it had been snapped and the just placed back in <_< . On closer inspection of the engine 2 of the 6 bolts that hold the clutch cover to the flywheel had been snapped and were still in the flywheel (I hate welding bolts out!) :angry: . So as im sure you can imagine im now thinking that the guy who looked after this before was slighty uuummm careless should we say. I Ordered up a valeo 130 friction plate and a new Isuzu clutch cover. When i removed the cover it had your everyday m8 flat washers spacing the cover from the flywheel (1mm spacing approx), i removed them as i thought it could of been another bodge from the previous owner. All fitted and theres no clutch on the pedal, removed the slave cyl and the rod that attaches to the fork is just level with the hole in the bellhousing, so the slave cyl cant reach! Am i right in thinking that the rod should poke through by 1-2"?

I know there are a fair few on here who have done the conversion and so could you tell me whether the washers are part of the kit and should be fitted. Im assuming that the 1mm spacing lets the pressure plate springs extend further to make contact with the thrust bearing but will a 1mm spacing really make the rod move those 1-2" out so the slave can make contact?

Sorry it long winded! :ph34r:

Any helps much appreciated

Cheers Paul

I have seen washers fitted between the clutch cover and flywheel on izusu conversions before so I presume this could be a issue with the conversion.

The washers I saw appeared to be slightly thiner than standard m8 washers though.

I was once told that a landrover clutch plate was thicker than a izusu clutch plate hence the washers.

I have allso seen izusu flywheels "skimed" flat and then a landrover pressure plate fitted, no spacer washers.

If you watch the forks of the pressure plate move as you tighten the pressure plate bolts you will see a small movement at the bols makes a huge movement at the fork where the thrust bearing pushes.

I have made 3 of my own adapter plates for short bellhousing lt77/series and I did not use spacers on the pressure plate.

somebody on here should be able to tell you where the rod lies relative to the gearbox bellhousing with a std landrover, yours should be in verry close the same position.

would it be worth making up a new pushrod rather than dismantling the engine and box again?

yes - you need the washers unless the flywheels been skimmed, an accurate 1mm is important

CPE will mod your flywheel Isuzu flywheel if you want to run a landrover friction and cover plate (cheaper in the long run)

no quick fix Im afraid - pull it out. For advice CPE is a good guy to talk to.

I have seen washers fitted between the clutch cover and flywheel on izusu conversions before so I presume this could be a issue with the conversion.

The washers I saw appeared to be slightly thiner than standard m8 washers though.

I was once told that a landrover clutch plate was thicker than a izusu clutch plate hence the washers.

I have allso seen izusu flywheels "skimed" flat and then a landrover pressure plate fitted, no spacer washers.

If you watch the forks of the pressure plate move as you tighten the pressure plate bolts you will see a small movement at the bols makes a huge movement at the fork where the thrust bearing pushes.

I have made 3 of my own adapter plates for short bellhousing lt77/series and I did not use spacers on the pressure plate.

somebody on here should be able to tell you where the rod lies relative to the gearbox bellhousing with a std landrover, yours should be in verry close the same position.

would it be worth making up a new pushrod rather than dismantling the engine and box again?

Cheers for all the replies guys!!

I had thought about making a new longer pushrod, but i think it will either bottom the fork out on the inside of the bellhousing or possibly push the thrust bearing partially off it guide and put it at a funny angle. I think ill get some 1mm washers made up and remove the bellhousing and mock up with the engine o the floor rather than wrestling with the engine hoist endlessly <_< . If i have no luck i shall have to give CPE a ring like Jes has suggested! Dont suppose anybody has their phone no. handy??

Cheers Paul