Front prop UJ

DiscoStu

Hi all.

The same as many trucks with lifted suspension, I tend to go through more UJ's than I'd like. Probably at least two a year and I always fit GKN/Spicer's.

The thing is, its usually the same one: Front prop, Tbox end.

This is fitted with the smaller of the two universal joints quoted for this vehicle, IIRC STC2391, whilst the rear prop is fitted with the larger and stronger HD unit T000100 or something :)

Is it possible to change the yoke on the front prop for one off the rear/different model to accommodate the stronger joint?

Has anyone tried this? Am I wasting my time?

Stu.

The front props on 300tdis have same size UJs at both ends, 75mm across the caps. I think yours is an early 90/110 or something.

The TVC100010, compared to the RTC3291 (you didn't recall correctly :P) has also 75mm across but the caps and the needles inside are 2mm longer. That's why some call them HD.

One thing you can try is to fit the prop the other way round, with the bigger UJ at the TB.

Another thing would be to fit a double cardan prop if no caster correction bits fitted and the diff is aprox in line with the prop.

Thanks Cipx2.

I have possibly been a little unclear. I didnt mean the UJ's on the front prop were different sizes, just different to the rear prop.

Would you have expected TVC100010 to fit the front prop of an MA******** disco? It doesn't fit mine so you may be right.....

Further investigation required I think, I'd like to have one type of UJ standardized across both props if possible.

Stu

According to what I have on my 98 300tdi Discovery (both props are original) and to what the EPC says, TVC100010 should fit all 3 joints in both props (all 4 joints for the V8s).

PS. Edited to add:

- 75mm UJs: RTC3291, RTC3458, RTC4587, TVC100010 - they're all interchangeable with each other and should fit all original 200/300 tdi Discovery and the front UJ on both front and rear Discovery 2 propshafts - the TVC100010 being the latest and most desirable version.

- 82 mm UJ: RTC3346 - for Series after '65 and early Def up to about '87

- 93 mm UJ: STC4807 - for Defender front prop after 2001

• 2 weeks later...