overheating

Bright Spark?

Have an overheating problem with my td5. Runs okay up to about 65mph then it starts to misfire especialy when going up hills the temp gauge starts to climb to about 3/4 then drops to zero and the red warning light comes on. If I take my foot of the accelorator until it drops back to 60mph it stops misfiring and runs normally. The gauge will not move untill I switch the ignition of and on. Pull's the caravan no problem untill it start to climb a hill. Any idea's? many thanks.

Its a td5 discovery,which i know very little about,can you tell us if your loosing any coolent,any creamy gunk on the oil filler cap anything floating around on the top of the coolent in the expansion tank,exhaust smoke colour dont know wether you will be able to see at 65ish but is it like steam?Have you tried a compression test or making it happen out of gear on the drive at the same rpm.I will be honest and say im only guessing here but could it be a cracked head possibly?Im sure one of the td5 boys will sort you out with some more deatailed things to look at.This is simalar to a problem i had with a renault 5 gt turbo,totally different I know but it would show the same symptoms when you gave it some stick it would run really rough coughing and spluttering and that also was a cracked head.The crack would only open up under pressure.Im hoping its and electrical problem though as those heads are not cheap compared to my 300 tdi.

If the temp gauge drops to zero there is no water at the sensor, just steam. Sounds to me like a blown head gasket, or a cracked head. With experience I would guess a crack in no 1 exhaust port. This is fixable, (well it is over here), the last one cost us the equivalent of £12 to have it welded. Of course the total bill was more than that as even changing a head gasket on a TD5 is not cheap, what with the new head bolts and all.

ps the welded head has since done about 30k kilos with no problem.

If you are not using coolant the problem is something else.