Unbalanced Prop

Hi all,

I snapped by front prop while playing at Bala a while back, so bought a GKN Hardy Spicer to replace it. I think (can't remember exactly) I stupidly pulled the two parts apart for some reason just before I installed it.

Anyway, now at certain speeds I get a rumbling noise from the front, usually when the wheels are driving the engine.

From doing some searching on here, I believe my prop is unbalanced. My questions are:

Is this rumbling caused by an unbalanced prop?

How do I balance an unbalanced prop?

It's a 1992 200 tdi 90 if that helps.

Thanks.

Thanks.

Am I right in assuming it would be more likely to be an unbalanced prop, knowing that I've just replaced it and also knowing that it didn't make the noise before the old one snapped.

Also will there be any detrimental damage done if I leave it as it doesn't do it all that often.

One thing to look at first is if you have the UJ's in line.

I was advised by Dave Ashcroft to have the UJ's offset by one or two splines (front UJ leading the rear) on the front prop to minimise vibration.

Mine were in line. Popped one end off the axle, moved round two splines and vibration gone.. :)

Worth a few minutes under the truck to find out....

Neil