HELP Freelander petrol smell from heater

robsta3

Hi,

I have a problem with my 1999 Petrol freelander which has a smell of fuel when the heater is turned on in the car.

I have checked around the tank also on top of the pump (under rear seat)and under the bonnet and cant find a leak, the smell seems stronger on the drivers side under the bonnet does anyone have any suggestions as to where the leak could be coming from or pointers on what to look at. Running out of options and thinking of using a match to locate lol

Thanks in advance for any and all help.

Well there's no reason for petrol to be in the heater so it's most likely the heater is just circulating smelly air from outside so you notice it more.

Check the fuel rail, injectors, pressure regulator, and then follow the fuel line back to the tank as far as possible (by the sounds of it the leak is under the bonnet) looking for moisture. A tin of aerosol carb or brake & clutch cleaner is handy to clean any oily residue, if it re-appears once the cleaner has evaporated you've found your leak.

Well there's no reason for petrol to be in the heater so it's most likely the heater is just circulating smelly air from outside so you notice it more.

Check the fuel rail, injectors, pressure regulator, and then follow the fuel line back to the tank as far as possible (by the sounds of it the leak is under the bonnet) looking for moisture. A tin of aerosol carb or brake & clutch cleaner is handy to clean any oily residue, if it re-appears once the cleaner has evaporated you've found your leak.

Thanks for the help Fridgfreezer just wish i could see under the injection rail!!