gearbox on the way out?

I have an M reg Defender 90 with a 300TDI that has over the past 6 months or so developed what appears to be a very noisy gearbox. At first I thought it was just the clutch bearing being over zealously noisy, but when I changed the clutch/ plate and release bearing it was still there ( the pressure plate was knackered). Also when driving and working my way up through the the gears, the noise is present but as very intrusive vibrations. Could this be mainshaft/ layshaft wear? The actual gearchanges are superb for an R380 which makes me wonder whether it could be something else- any ideas?

I have an M reg Defender 90 with a 300TDI that has over the past 6 months or so developed what appears to be a very noisy gearbox. At first I thought it was just the clutch bearing being over zealously noisy, but when I changed the clutch/ plate and release bearing it was still there ( the pressure plate was knackered). Also when driving and working my way up through the the gears, the noise is present but as very intrusive vibrations. Could this be mainshaft/ layshaft wear? The actual gearchanges are superb for an R380 which makes me wonder whether it could be something else- any ideas?

have you looked at the props/U.J's. they could be lacking in lubrication.

or as western said transfer box. one off my out put bearing went on my transfer box also took the speedo drive gear with it.. made a hell of a rackit.

cheers sam

have you looked at the props/U.J's. they could be lacking in lubrication.

or as western said transfer box. one off my out put bearing went on my transfer box also took the speedo drive gear with it.. made a hell of a rackit.

cheers sam

When I first bought the wagon I ended up changing both props aswell as changing all the oils throughout the entire drive train ( all with correct oils). The oils in both g'box and t- case were both very milky though and looked like they hadnt been changed in 10 years, so it is possible that wear was setting in. The centre diff also had to be freed up as mud was stopping the selector levers from moving. The only thing that makes me suspect that it is not one of the output drive bearings in the t-case is that it makes the similar kind of noise/vibrations in neutral and at idle. ie no drive through to the t-case with just the input shaft and layshaft spinning in the main'box.

cheers maximus