Spontanious Alternator Combustion!

plank22

I have been having trouble bleeding the brakes on my S3 diesel so i decided to replace the slave cylinder so I had a nice shiny bleed nipple as opposed to a round piece of rust. Anyhow after about 45mins of the usual kicking and screaming at rusted land rovers I noticed a flicker of light and cracking noises, looking closer at the flicking light I saw that my alternator had caught fire!!!!!! All on its own!!!! I put it out with a extinguisher and then all was fine. The wiring to the alternator is not far short of cack with lots of chocolate block and crimp connectors but the fire started inside the alternator, why? Its only just a year old it was from paddocks so didnt think much of it but I looked and it was lucas which is good as far as I know. Anyone shed any light? I did nail it through a few big puddles on the way there but could that cause a problem so long after the engine being stopped?

The alternator is normally connected to the battery permanently and also connected to ground so it's always possible I suppose.

The only connection I can think of with the job you were doing would be if it was using the clutch pipe as a route to earth, not entirely out of the question as it's a metal pipe that effectively connects the bulkhead to the gearbox. Probably not connected though, if you'll forgive the pun !