brake of a td5 timing chain

hello all,

first thing sorry for my english but i'm french, nobody is perfect :D

a friend have a 2001 90 td5 with 60000 km not certified.

his engine have brake is timing chain,

have you ever ear something about that.

what could be brake inside of the engine? and where can we buy parts at good price and good quality?

thanks for every help

I have never heard of the timing chain breaking on a Td5 but like anything I guess it is a 0.001% possibility. Most likely cause might be somebody who has been into the engine and done something wrong on rebuilding it.

Are you sure it is the timing chain that broke and not the chain driving the oil pump - this is a known fault and there is info on the problem elsewhere on LR4x4 if you do a search.

There are two chains on a TD5 engine - One small chain that drives the oil pump from the crankshaft sprocket, and another chain that drives the camshaft from the crankshaft sprocket.

If the camshaft chain has come off or broken, then it may well punch a hole in the chain cover or front of the rocker cover. You'll have to remove the rocker cover and timing chain cover to see what's happened. If the chain has snapped then it'll drop down and bunch-up on top of the crankshaft sprocket and/or chain slipper pads.

Sounds like it's going to be expensive :(

Les.