Overland springs

TheSaint

Hi!

Im planning an overland trip to Syria/Jordania and maybe a bit more south this summer <_<

Im looking for new springs and shocks to my Discovery 300 Tdi. I havent got loads of cash so I cant aford OME even if I really would like them. If I buy them I never leave the contry. I prefer to buy a genuine Land Rover spring so I can more easily replace it. Regarding the shocks I prefer a gas shock instead of originals.

Have anyone tips or ideas on combinations?

Thank you in advance!

Fredrik Jonsson

(Sweden)

Hi Fredrik,

I'm busy with the same exercise and have concluded that regarding springs Land Rover Heavy Duty is best buy at half the cost than OME's. For Shocks best buy is Ironman which is only slightly more expensive than monroe's. I'm doing the installation myself as it will save me about 30% in labour. Before I buy OME's I'd rather spent slightly more on bilstein or koni's.

Hi fella,my experience with springs and shocks is limited but like you cost is and issue,I opt for the armstrong shocks avalible from paddocks for about a tenner a piece oil filled and well up to the job in my opinion.As for springs im using the britpart yellows +2 HD ones and after a month no probs yet but most say avoid these.The reason im suggesting the standard shocks is that they are cheap and you could carry a couple of spares.Please bear in mind that I have no experience of overland trips and im only basing the info im offering on local laning.Hope your trip is problem free.

Thank you fellows!

So DiscoJo you have the same thoughts about the springs. Do tou mean ANR4491 Rear Coil Spring - Heavy Duty Police Spec? or are there other H/D springs?

What springs will you fit in the front?

Regarding the shocks a will go for a bit tougher than the standard oil shocks. They are cheap and you can carry extra so the idea is good, but I still want a better shock off road.

Never heard of Ironman here in Sweden, but worth considering! I will google it for more information.

Thank you so far... More suggestions or ideas?

You don't need to lift your suspension for overlanding, so stick with standard(ish) ride height.

I've got OEM H/D springs on the rear of my disco (sometimes listed as 'military' they are the same as used on the Camel discos) they lift the rear by approx 20mm when empty, and it sits at around the original ride height when fully laden. it rides really well, and the springs don't crash about like some i've used (blue bearmach HD 110 items are sooo stiff)

I'm using Monroe adventure 4x4 shocks, which at £100 for a set of 4 are good value, and I'm well pleased with them.

I'm also running orange polybushes (don't want to get in a debate about polybushes, I like 'em, others hate them) which i'm pleased with.

My only advice is don't scrimp on unbranded pattern parts, the OEM armstrong shocks at £10 each are quite good enough, but you'll need to replace them fairly regularly to get the best from them.

OEM Suspension bushes are good, and will last for ages, I like the polybushes 'cos you don't need a press to replace them.

OEM springs are a lot cheaper than most of the aftermarket stuff, and generally excellent quality, there are loads of different lengths and rates available, and various lists on the web.