TD5 Core plug leak

alan kemp

My TD5 (Disco II) lost water the other day, just found the leak. It couldnt be in a more awkward place. A core plug next to the drivers side engine mount has a pin hole in the side or wher it butts up against the block. There is a thin (pin size) jet of water jetting out when pressureis generated by the pump.

I guess a tap with a hammer might seal it but its almost impossible to get at, even with a bar. Would rad weld seal it?

I think its been weeping for ages looking at the rust where the water has landed, maybe the ice over the last few weeks has moved something. It did have anti freeze and the rad seems to be OK.

My TD5 (Disco II) lost water the other day, just found the leak. It couldnt be in a more awkward place. A core plug next to the drivers side engine mount has a pin hole in the side or wher it butts up against the block. There is a thin (pin size) jet of water jetting out when pressureis generated by the pump.

I guess a tap with a hammer might seal it but its almost impossible to get at, even with a bar. Would rad weld seal it?

I think its been weeping for ages looking at the rust where the water has landed, maybe the ice over the last few weeks has moved something. It did have anti freeze and the rad seems to be OK.

in the past i've drilled a little hole and screwed a slide hammer type thing in.Pulled the old one out and just fitted a new one. Don't no how esy a job.Could try atap witha hammer but if its been leaky a while thn its probably worn it away.

If you want a horrible cheat, I once was planning on removing a core plug from a Ford V6. I screwed a short fat self tapper into the leaking hole (intending to use it to pull the plug out)......and the leak stopped......four years later it was still there!! :rolleyes::rolleyes:

Chris