...and then I lost all my brake capacity...

yellow

When reversing into a street, and seeing traffic coming my way, I decided that the nitwit behind me did not see me quick enough and I stamped the brakes. This is a 130 with QuadTec body, but empty, so not overloaded at all, rear drums.

The brake light came up (So I expect a loss of fluid) but late night checks did not reveal any of the brake hoses burst or cracked. The brake pedal feels useless, as there is no counter pressure at all.

Where to start looking? Would I be correct that as a safety measure, it would be best to:

- Change master cylinder

- Change brake hoses

- Change rear cylinders

Or could there be a vacuum issue, something to do with the booster?

I would start by looking at the rear drums.

Sounds to me like the brakes were out of adjustment, so when you stamped on the pedal, the shuttle valve moved in the pressure differential warning actuator - this would make the warning light come on.

You've now got no brakes as the shuttle valve has moved across and stayed there....

Start by adjusting the brakes right up on the rear so the drums are locked on, then bleed the system fully as normal - preferably with a pressure bleeder. You may have to strip the PDWA though if it doesn't drop back into place.

Matt

I would start by looking at the rear drums.

Sounds to me like the brakes were out of adjustment, so when you stamped on the pedal, the shuttle valve moved in the pressure differential warning actuator - this would make the warning light come on.

You've now got no brakes as the shuttle valve has moved across and stayed there....

Start by adjusting the brakes right up on the rear so the drums are locked on, then bleed the system fully as normal - preferably with a pressure bleeder. You may have to strip the PDWA though if it doesn't drop back into place.

Matt

Mmmm... The existence of this shuttle valve is completely new to me. I will check out the workshop manuals to check out the workings and location of the valve. Also I would need to know the 'procedure' to strip this valve...

When driving the vehicle from Bristol to Belgium I did experience no braking problems, such as pulling to one side, etc... It just started with this emergency braking...

Similar thing happened with me....i turned a corner and breaked hard....n then when i breaked again the pedal just went in freely...tried pumping it couple o times half way...no effect.

limped(engine braking and hand brake) to the garage...the mech told me the master cylinder seals had worn out...and gave away instantly due to the sudden breaking(says age could be the reason...i dont remember when they were last changed)....so he put in new ones...been good since then.

i guess its what Mike said above, the master cylinder seals, that you should check.

hope this helps.Good Luck

Adi