Window regulator wire kit

Number52

HI folks,

First time poster and not real handy when it comes to repairs:

My drivers electric window is goosed and the garage wanted £105 to fix it. I noticed on ebay wire replacement kits for £25, do these work and is it easy to do?

I have a slightly bigger problem in that my ECU is giving a false lamda reading and telling the car not to use petrol when starting, which isnt good and is going to cost a bomb to fix so dont want to send good money after bad if I can help it. Only had the car 10 months, but it is a K series :(

HI folks,

First time poster and not real handy when it comes to repairs:

My drivers electric window is goosed and the garage wanted £105 to fix it. I noticed on ebay wire replacement kits for £25, do these work and is it easy to do?

I have a slightly bigger problem in that my ECU is giving a false lamda reading and telling the car not to use petrol when starting, which isnt good and is going to cost a bomb to fix so dont want to send good money after bad if I can help it. Only had the car 10 months, but it is a K series :(

can't answer the bit about the window regulator, but surely you can get an ecu from a breaker for next to nothing. There is heaps of petrol Frelanders getting broken because of the head gasket issue. Looking on flebay, you'll pay less than 100 quid posted.

Have to say tho, that the bit about the Lambda reading does not sound right. The engine will only go closed loop once the car is fully up to temp, so it will ignore the lambda sensor until that point. Who diagnosed this problem?

can't answer the bit about the window regulator, but surely you can get an ecu from a breaker for next to nothing. There is heaps of petrol Frelanders getting broken because of the head gasket issue. Looking on flebay, you'll pay less than 100 quid posted.

Have to say tho, that the bit about the Lambda reading does not sound right. The engine will only go closed loop once the car is fully up to temp, so it will ignore the lambda sensor until that point. Who diagnosed this problem?

Thanks for the reply mate,

the original diagnosis was from a local garage. I took it to a Landy approved place this afternoon, who couldnt find a fault on their diagnostics. So they are a bit flumaxed. I've to take it back in and leave it overnight so they can replicate the cold start to see if they can spot a problem, they think it may possibly be a cold weather injector thats not working for some reason.

Theres a host of other stuff wrong as well that I dont want to fix until the starting problem is sorted, like a ball joint and flexi pipe kwik fit never spotted when they changed the mid and baffle sections last week.

Anyone else tried the wire fix instead of replacing the whole unit?

I found changing the window regulator changing was easy but I take things apart and try to put them back together again all the time.

It took me about 25mins to change one out and new one back in.

a 2 dr and 4 dr window regulator are the same but they are still handed left to right.

Thanks for the reply mate,

the original diagnosis was from a local garage. I took it to a Landy approved place this afternoon, who couldnt find a fault on their diagnostics. So they are a bit flumaxed. I've to take it back in and leave it overnight so they can replicate the cold start to see if they can spot a problem, they think it may possibly be a cold weather injector thats not working for some reason.

Theres a host of other stuff wrong as well that I dont want to fix until the starting problem is sorted, like a ball joint and flexi pipe kwik fit never spotted when they changed the mid and baffle sections last week.

Anyone else tried the wire fix instead of replacing the whole unit?

I have no experience of the K series, but in general the Lambda sensor is only read when the engine goes closed loop, so it will have no effect on cold starting. I would completely disregard that diagnosis.

Injector problem sounds feasible, other things could be air flow meter,coolant temp sensor. Sounds really annoying, but not serious (expensive).

Good Luck

I have no experience of the K series, but in general the Lambda sensor is only read when the engine goes closed loop, so it will have no effect on cold starting. I would completely disregard that diagnosis.

Injector problem sounds feasible, other things could be air flow meter,coolant temp sensor. Sounds really annoying, but not serious (expensive).

Good Luck

Turned out to be the head gasket after all, leaking down the side of number 1 cylender rather than into it, which is why the first guy never spotted it I guess, althought the con rod has slightly bent which means the starting problem isnt going to go away anytime soon. Got the window and a ball joint fixed and replaced, kinda back on the road again at last, see what the MOT brings.

I would say I hate it, but having been car less for a week, I'm sooooooo glad to have it back LoL, might even wash it this week!