Weber Carb - bits missing?

Steve F

I've got a Weber 34 ICH carb on my 4cyl 2286. Now i've had time to have a good look at it, I'm fairly sure a couple of bits are missing. There is no smaller lever next to the throttle lever (and therefore no link from this to the choke lever). When you pull the choke cable the only thing that moves is the choke butterfly valve (and this is loose and can flap about)

I guess that could explain the why the engine isn't easy to keep going on tickover when its cold, unless the idle speed is kept a bit higher.

Is this just bits missing, or is there a reason why someone would have done this? :unsure:

Is this just bits missing, or is there a reason why someone would have done this? :unsure:

Either they had another carb that they needed bits for, or (more likely from my experiences) removed it as the choke did bugger all to help with cold running.

These single choke Webers aren't known for being a preferable type to use. It's often recommended to fit either the Solex or Zenith back on.

Either they had another carb that they needed bits for, or (more likely from my experiences) removed it as the choke did bugger all to help with cold running.

These single choke Webers aren't known for being a preferable type to use. It's often recommended to fit either the Solex or Zenith back on.

Strange I heard they were the thing everyone fitted??????

PS

I have an unused and mostly boxed one (mouse nibbles) if required?

Marc.

People fitted them as an "economy" device, and when their tired original carb was being replaced they would be "amazed" by the improvement of performance. Said performance only came because they were replacing a fecked carb.

The Twin Choke Weber is a different thing all together.

Just fitted the new Zenith copy. Took a bit of messing about to get it to run right, but turned out to be air leaking in through the PCV valve tube to the intake manifold - nothing to do with carb. Seems to be running really nice tonight, but will wait for for a few days and few cold starts for final verdict - but initial impression is very good.