TD5 cuts out just after starting.

Stu W

I have a 2002 TD5 Discovery. I have just developed this new fault. On starting the car I let the amber coil light go out. I then start the car and the engine starts first time. But it only runs for about half a second then cuts out instantly with no over run or anything. If you try and start the car again it just cranks over but does not fire. The only way I can start the engine is to take the keys out and lock the car then unlock it again.

I thought it might be the Immobiliser but why does it start in the first place?.

Could it be the fuel pump but why does the locking of the doors fix it?

This has happened 4 times in the last 2 weeks.

I wonder if anyone has had this problem, or maybe offer me some advise.

Cheers

Stu.

My guess is the passive immobiliser. Something in the dark recesses of my mind recalls that the Td5 will actually start when immobilised but then die if a valid code is not received - I have no idea why. When you turn the key, the coil around the ignition barrel should tell the alarm unit that there is a valid key fob present and then it will be happy. If this isn't working, it will remain immobilised, but locking and unlocking disarms the alarm and immobiliser without using the passive circuit.

You'll need to plug in a computer to be certain, but that's my guess based on the description.

Thanks for that. I guess it has to be in the fault condition for the computer to read the fault code, or do you think it will record that fault. I had a BMW before this and you could buy your own fault code reader, do you know if there is one for landrovers?

Stu

I think the autobox ECU has a fault memory, most ECUs do, to be honest there aren't many autos here so its a while since I last had one on. If so then there will be a code related to the WXYZ switch giving an implausible reading, rather than a non start.

You can buy a full dealer IDS if you've got £15000 spare :) Some of the others will probably do it too but not sure which - others may be able to advise. Generally you get what you pay for...

• 1 year later...

I think the autobox ECU has a fault memory, most ECUs do, to be honest there aren't many autos here so its a while since I last had one on. If so then there will be a code related to the WXYZ switch giving an implausible reading, rather than a non start.

You can buy a full dealer IDS if you've got £15000 spare :) Some of the others will probably do it too but not sure which - others may be able to advise. Generally you get what you pay for...

Hi did you ever find the problem with your td5

phil.

Hi Phil

Sorry I never did find out what is wrong with it, it happened a couple of times that month, then once or twice since.

On the service early last year I had the fault codes cleaned off the ECU and should it happen again they would check it for me. Unfortunately we were in France when it last happened so I never took it in.

Stu.