starting & other problems ...

bertl

Hi all,

just joined this forum and feel so free to start with a request immediately :D

It's about my 2000 Freelander 1.8 - had some starting problems but after changing the crankshaft sensor it run well again, at least for a few days.

Since yesterday it does not start anymore, the starter motor is not running. The battery is charged fully, also you can hear the fuel injection working. But when turning the key nothing else happens.

There's absolutely no sound from the starter motor, not even a 'click'.

Tried to give it a push-start today but it didn't start. So far I'm not sure if it didn't fire or if it was just 'wet' from the start attempts - as I said the fuel injection is working.

I fear it's a problem with the immobiliser - would the ignition and injection work if it is activated? Is there a way to check it myself or has it to be done by a LandRover dealer?

Of course there could be several reasons for a non working starter (the starter motor itself, the wiring, the ECU, the immobiliser ...) but maybe it's a common and known issue with the freelander and someone has a hint what to look first??

And another quite strange problem - the window in the back door opens itself. Not when the car is running but when it is switched off completely after a few hours it goes down. It even shoudn't be electrified in that stage. Any ideas??

:unsure:

Thanks for your help and hints,

Rob

2000 Freelander 1.8 - 1997 Rover 216 Convertible - 1974 Rolls Royce Silver Shadow

Last thing first - the back window is always live as it has to come down to open the back door, and it will also drop itself if it thinks the soft-top is down (3 door only) or the window isn't fully up. There is a small switch in the right hand side pillar near the soft-top mount pivot which tells it if the roof is on or off. I wouldn't put it past LR to just short the switch wires on the 5 door version.

Starting problem sounds like the starter motor, try tapping the body of the solenoid with a hammer, it may just be jammed.

If it was the alarm/immobiliser I'd imagine the alarm would go off if you tried to start it.

Could also be the ignition, mine suffered from poor quality ignition components (HT leads etc.) recently which cased all manner of problems including not starting (although it would still turn on the starter).

Guys,

... that drives me nuts!

After a little hit with a hammer the starter motor works again, so apparently it needs just a little overhaul.

But guess what - of course the engine did not start, it doesn't fire now ...

Will have to check the crank sensor again, also several ignition parts probably.

It's so sad ...

:unsure:

Rob

You need to check the starter motor works first;

if you look at the starter motor from the near side ( passenger side) of the engine compartment, you get a good view of the starter motor and the solenoid attached to it.

You will see a thick (8mm) red cable, which runs from the battery to the solenoid.

And a thin (1mm) red cable which comes from the ignition switch (via the ecu).

Firstly give the thin wire a little wiggle (don't break it), then try to start the car again, sometimes you get water into that connection which breaks the connection. If that does not work continue.

Remove the small red cable, it just pulls off, but is designed not to be easy to pull off.

Once you have removed the thin cable, ensure the ignition is turned off and the car is not in gear and run a cable from the battery live terminal + to the connector on the solenoid, (not the thin wire) where you pulled off the cable.

If the starter motor turns both the solenoid and the starter motor is working, and your problem lies elsewhere. If not continue.

The thick red wire is connected to the starter motor by a bolted connection into the solenoid , next to this connection is a second bolted connection which carries the current into the starter motor windings.

Get a piece of metal, or a pair of pliers and connect both the bolts together (which is what the solenoid does) you will get a big spark but don't be alarmed this is normal. If the starter motor turns, your problem is the solenoid . If the starter motor does not turn its the starter motor itself.

EDIT:

by the time i wrote this the problem had been sorted, typical.