Electric sunroof not working but why?

JJ7893

Hi all as the title says the sunroof dont work <_< (anything new there) and the fuse is fine even swopped it over with an another fuse. I cant find if there is a relay, If you know where could you tell me please. But what else could it be that would make it stop working? I dont fancy taking wires to this and that unless it is proven as it a ES model and dont like to blow up everything in there!! :ph34r: anyway any help will be great,

Thanks ...JJ

Forgot to add there is a Air Con in it too just in case that makes a difference ...JJ

Hi Yes it both of them sunroofs that are not working, I have opened the roof up to see (cubby box above the sunvisers) and found the control box and have opened and closed the sunroof by hand (allen key) just to see if it was stiff etc Its not so what could it be? I think the control box is a goner? Even thought it looks clean and dry.

It is a 1994 ES discovery 300TDI

.......JJ

Hi Yes it both of them sunroofs that are not working, I have opened the roof up to see (cubby box above the sunvisers) and found the control box and have opened and closed the sunroof by hand (allen key) just to see if it was stiff etc Its not so what could it be? I think the control box is a goner? Even thought it looks clean and dry.

It is a 1994 ES discovery 300TDI

.......JJ

Hello JJ, I recently opened my front sunroof to let a fly out (sad but true) and once open it wouldnt close. I kept on farting about with the switch and eventually it made a rapid clicking noise like a relay, which is what I thought the problem was, although I couldnt profess to know more than cipx2 about that, but in the end I got it closed again and now I dont open it just in case. Hope that's of some use. :rolleyes: Dave

Cheers DiscoDave, At least you have a clicking noise I have no click at all I seen a relay on E bay but I think that would be a different model and I seen ECU for Sunroofs at a nice price!! :blink: I will keep looking, it feels if there is no live going to it will have to multi test it and see what power I have. I also have a receipt to say that the sunroof was to be checked but did not say weather it was faulty or repaired? Or what part was replaced so I think it was just looked at.

...JJ

The electric diagram doesn't show any relay. The relay that clicks when the sunroof's motor can't turn it's an overload protection relay and, AFAIK, it's in the sunroof control unit.

On the other hand, RR Classics have this overload relay separately, somewhere under the dash on passenger side, together with other relays. But the sunroof control unit's part# on RRC is different than on Discovery. By the way, the control unit is the same on both D1s and D2s, part# AMR2128. And by another way, the D2 electric diagram also doesn't show any separate overload relay.

discodave, if you heard the clicking sound coming from above, roughly from the sunroof switches area then you heard the one embedded in the control unit. If you heard it coming from under the dash, which I doubt, possibility you have the RRC arrangement.

JJ, test for live and also for earth. There's also another wire coming from the electric window ecu to enable the 30-45 seconds operation after ignition off (by the way, do both front and rear windows work?). You can also test the motors by feeding them directly if you want (I wouldn't bother), just use a fused 12V feed.

If all ok then get another control unit, 7-10 quid on ebay, 50 quid brand new.

discodave, if you heard the clicking sound coming from above, roughly from the sunroof switches area then you heard the one embedded in the control unit. If you heard it coming from under the dash, which I doubt, possibility you have the RRC arrangement.

Yes, my clicking was coming from just behind the overhead switch . I couldnt be sure if it was a faulty switch or the relay. I had to keep gently rocking the switch to get it to shut again in fits and starts, so it felt like it was the switch but I dont know.

If all ok then get another control unit, 7-10 quid on ebay, 50 quid brand new.

Where did you find that price where I looked on ebay the cheapest was £19.99 some where asking over £70 for a unit (dont know if its second hand) not being picky but if I can get it cheaper then why not? .....JJ

HERE's where to get a brand new one.

Get in touch with this seller as he had one recently for £7.50 "buy it now" but he didn't sell it and the auction ended. If no luck, keep your eyes open on e-bay as I think you're in no hurry, they do come up at decent prices time to time.

I bought my transfer box from him(RangeRoverHeaven). Reasonable price and condition. It's been sound so far. ;)

HERE's where to get a brand new one.

Get in touch with this seller as he had one recently for £7.50 "buy it now" but he didn't sell it and the auction ended. If no luck, keep your eyes open on e-bay as I think you're in no hurry, they do come up at decent prices time to time.

Thanks for that I have sent him a message and we will see what happens. Tear it up if he don't have it I get in touch with you,

There is only one remote control unit with one set of keys, I would like to add another fob but dont know where to start any ideas? Thanks guys...... JJ