OT: LOLER 1998 Regs

Night Train

Does anyone know about the LOLER (The Lifting Operations and Lifting Equipment Regulations 1998)?

I am going to be fitting a small, 250kg, crane to my trailer and possibly a small tail lift. Although I am self employed I do not employ anyone and I am unlikely to use the crane for any of commercial work based lifting, mainly shifting stuff I buy for renovating my house. Would the regulations still apply to me? I can and will inspect the equipment for my own safety anyway but would I also need a formally quallified inspector every six months?

If this is too far off topic then please delete but I was thinking of asking here as many of you seem to have workshop cranes and and lifting equipment for your builds. Do any of you require LOLER inspections?

Thanks,

NT

As far as I am aware the regs do not apply unless you are using the equipment for work. So if you are on a job and use it yes, they do, but if you are collecting stuff from B&Q for your own personal use then no, they don't. Where you might also be required to follow the regs is if you purchase the crane through your company and attach it to a company vehicle.

If you are an employer or self-employed person providing lifting equipment for use

at work, or you have control of the use of lifting equipment, then the Regulations

will apply to you.

For home users the lifting regs do not apply (although you still have to make sure its safe obviously, as someone entering your premises could be injured, or your garage could be pulled down by a gantry crane for example!)

I might have to do this properly then.

The crane is going to be removable both to reduce the theft risk and unnecessary weight. I would only fit it when I need to use it but the rest of the time the trailer would be used for work, so it would be fitted to a working vehicle in that case.

I'll scrub the idea of a tail lift as it wouldn't be removable either.

Yep, any crane or tail lift that carries people/passengers must be Loler inspected every 6 months. Non people carrying are 12 monthly. Costing us a fortune at work until June when out Loler course is renewed.

Mick.