Auto Trans Oil Question

discodave

Hello all, I've been reading some of the posts on this subject as I've got a slightly leaky gearbox oilcooler pipe on my 1994 V8i disco es and as I'm about to do a 350 mile journey I wondered what's best to do. I've ordered the offending pipe but would like to just top up the oil for now as I dont have the facility to catch 9 litres of oil here. I see comma do AQ3 which is supposed to be suitable to replacea all the Dexron varieties, but I'm not sure what's in there already, it would appear to be a slightly orangy colour, which suggests that the red oil has maybe been topped up with a straw coloured one. Can I do any dammage by adding the Comma stuff? :( Cheeers. Dave

Comma AQM will do as it's to Dexron 2 spec which LR recommend for the D1, their AQ3 is a fully synthetic Dexron 3 ATF.

Also when you drain the fluid you will only get about have the 9 litres, half remains in the torque converter.

Comma AQM will do as it's to Dexron 2 spec which LR recommend for the D1, their AQ3 is a fully synthetic Dexron 3 ATF.

Also when you drain the fluid you will only get about have the 9 litres, half remains in the torque converter.

Thanks for that Teabag, ;) I've just been on Ashcrofts site and I think after reading an FAQ about changing autobox oil that I'm just gonna change the pipe and top it up for the time being, as everything works ok and aparantly it's quite common for problems to appear soon after a change, so I'm not gonna tempt fate the noo. Also did a search for dexron on here and dexron 2 comes in for a wee bit of stick and Les Henson recommends 3 so I'm still not sure about which oil to use. :blink: Will dexron 2 mix with dexron 3 without any problems or will they congeal/break down and stuff up my gearbox? Any further thoughts appreciated. Dave.

Dont know about the compatability of Dexron 2 and 3 but I've been running a Land Rover auto for 22 years using Dexron 2 without any probs.

If you wish to use Dexron 3 then have your auto box emptied by suction and refilled with Dexron 3

Dextron 2 and 3 will mix (in that they don't sludge or seperate from each other). The only straw-coloured gearbox oil I can think of is MTF94, which is a very good, but I'm not sure it's suitable for auto boxes?. Dextron darkens as it ages, and eventually becomes almost black. I would say that Dextron 2 or 3 would be ok to use.

No doubt Dave Ashcroft would be able to tell you which is best.

EP80/90 is also straw coloured, but lets assume someone wasn't that stupid to put it in an auto box.

Les.

Thanks for the info chaps. As I dont know what's in there I'm just gonna have to take pot luck and hope for the best. Got the oil cooler pipe yesterday, so I'll see which oil I can get locally try not to lose too much fitting the pipe and just top it up. The box has been working fine, it's just the leak that's the problem so hopefully I'll be ok as if some of the oil stays in the TC when you change it then a compatible oil has been used before. Wish me luck. Dave.

Went to Morrisons LR in Stirling to see what ATF they had. The bloke looked on the Microcat but the part number is discontinued so he asked the mechanics and they said they only use Dexron 2 for Disco 1 but they only get it in large amounts for their own use and dont even carry an alternative to sell :( so I was forced to go to Halfrauds and get Castrol TQD for 7 quid a litre :o Just waiting for the truck to cool down now before I start on the pipe.

Job done. Got the new pipe more or less in place first so I could get it on quickly and only lost a teeny bit of oil. Everything seems fine so will check and top up oil level tomorrow morning when it's properly cold before I leave for Skeggy and see how she goes. ;)