Series 1 80" in Chile

NessieCHI

Hello to all, I am new in this forum. I have been reading some subjects and I congratulate everyone for the great technical information and discussions!!

Currently I am in the restoration process of a LR Series 1 80" 1951 that I found after searching for a couple of years in Chile! It’s chassis number 16133291. It's going through a chassis repair and galvanization, new rear sides and doors etc. I have bought several parts such as an ex moor trim canvas hood, trafficators, original steering wheel, lights, buttler spot light, old number plates and so on….

At this moment I have the following doubts and ask for help!!:

1.) Considering that the 1595 cc engine is in not usable conditions, I am considering replacing the original engine with a a 2,25 L engine from a SII with the S1 gear box. Questions: What difficulties will I find in length, width, height, cross members and supports? I realize that with the 2,25 L engine I will sacrifice part of its originality, but that is what I can find in this part of the world!!

2.) Is the 2,25 L engine bell an easy fit with the S1 gear box?

3.) Does the Fairey overdrive fit to the S1 gear box?

4.) Where in UK can I find a fully refurbished 1595 cc Series 1 engine? Initially I contacted Cox n Turner but they don’t seem to be interested!

Any help is welcome!! I live in Santiago, Chile and as far as I know there are very very few S1 in Chile in working order (maybe 2 or 3) so there is very little information. BTW, I also have a fully restored 109" SIIA 1971 plus a transport cart from a SWB SII pick up apart from the daily use Disco III.

Best regards and thank you for the help!

Hello

The 2.25 petrol engine is probably the easiest conversion you would be able to do bearing in mind

your location in the world.

The hardest part to source will probably be a Series 11 (not 11a) bell housing that you will need if you

wish to keep the Series 1 gearbox, because the input shafts are of a different size and once again this

is the simplest way to overcome this.

The clutch levers etc. will all work okay with this set up.

The linkages for the carburettor will have to be altered to suit the new location but this can be quite easily

done using a set from a Series 11 or 111.

The exhaust from a Series 11 or 111 will also fit after you have removed a short piece from the straight

section and welded it back together.

The elbow section that sits on top of the carburettor is too tall for the bonnet and needs to be adjusted

to allow the bonnet to shut properly and most people have their own ways of achieving this.

I can't think of much else at the moment and have done it twice myself in the past but using a Series 11a

gearbox is an easier option and I did this to my present 80", especially as the Series 11 bell housings are

getting quite scarse now even over here.

Good luck if this is what you decide to do.

Feel free to e-mail me if you need any help.

Regards

Graham.

P.S. The overdrive will fit a Series 1, 11 and 111 gearbox.

Hello

The 2.25 petrol engine is probably the easiest conversion you would be able to do bearing in mind

your location in the world.

The hardest part to source will probably be a Series 11 (not 11a) bell housing that you will need if you

wish to keep the Series 1 gearbox, because the input shafts are of a different size and once again this

is the simplest way to overcome this.

The clutch levers etc. will all work okay with this set up.

The linkages for the carburettor will have to be altered to suit the new location but this can be quite easily

done using a set from a Series 11 or 111.

The exhaust from a Series 11 or 111 will also fit after you have removed a short piece from the straight

section and welded it back together.

The elbow section that sits on top of the carburettor is too tall for the bonnet and needs to be adjusted

to allow the bonnet to shut properly and most people have their own ways of achieving this.

I can't think of much else at the moment and have done it twice myself in the past but using a Series 11a

gearbox is an easier option and I did this to my present 80", especially as the Series 11 bell housings are

getting quite scarse now even over here.

Good luck if this is what you decide to do.

Feel free to e-mail me if you need any help.

Regards

Graham.

P.S. The overdrive will fit a Series 1, 11 and 111 gearbox.

Thank you for your response Graham!

I will search for the SII bell housing (allthough very difficult to find here!!). Otherwise I'll put in a SIIA gear box to suite the input shaft better, these gear boxes are easier to find. I imagine the SIII gear box is also good for this set up?

How about the cross memebers on tha chasis, the ones that go from side ti side, would I need to cut and weld?

Thanks again,

Series 1 (inc 80 inch) have nearly flat gearbox mounts bolting through holes in the gearbox crossmember. Series 2 have 'ears' welded onto the same crossmember and the mounts bolt onto these using wedges - so that the mounts (rubber blocks with studs sticking out top and bottom)

The mounts can be changed by unbolting them from the gearbox case and are interchangeable so far as I know.

Series 11 and 11a gearboxes look identical - there are a few minor detail differences with age - for example the size of the intermediate shaft, deletion of main box filler and replacement with a core plug etc.. Later ones are stronger.

All Series 2 have the clutch operating shaft sticking out like a series 1.

Series 3 have a hydraulically operated clutch with the cylinder on the near side of the housing and a simple arm and bearing mechanism. In any event why would you want an all synchro box in am 80 inch - takes away all the fun of driving it!