V8 overheating

discodave

Hello all, did my 350 mile trip to Skeggy without so much as a sneeze. Cruising at 65 - 70 very occasionally going a wee bit faster to pass caravans and trucks on dual carriageway sections ars85enal B) Couple of hours later I've gone 25 miles to see a mate, nae bother. After about 15 miles on my way home I noticed the temp guage had moved from it's familiar 'half way' position to "HELP it's nearly at the top" :o . So I turned the heater on full blast, switched it on to petrol and the gauge went back down to halfway but any attempt to reduce heater temp which was full red hot maximum melt type heat, resulted in it going back up again. I made it home okay and I've just been out and had a look about with the torch and nothing looks out of place. The expansion tank has the usual amount of water in it and there's no evidence of anything leaking underneath. Please tell me that they all do this from time to time and it's probably just tired after it's long run and picked up a bug. I've been reading some of the posts for info and the only thing I've noticed lately was the water in the expansion tank bubbling when I revved the engine :( when it was cold, but I didnt think anything of it at the time and like I said, it's gone 350 miles without a hitch today. 1994 3.9 V8 Efi Auto, drives like there's not even a teeny weeny problem anywhere. Till now! :blush: Any thoughts? Cheers.

Dave

I've been out this morning and checked all the levels etc, all normal. No evidence of any leaks under the truck. Started her up and had a look and listen in the engine bay. Just a slight movement in the expansion tank after revving. Came up to temp pretty quick and so I took her out for a 10 mile burn. Gave it some stick and came back through town slow traffic etc. Gauge never moved from it's usual position. :blink: Think I'll maybe drain and flush the system and keep an eye on it. Anything else I should look out for? cheers. Dave

For the sake of a fiver it could be worth changing the stat (fit a GENUINE one) as they can stick.

Ta Fridge, yep, I'm gonna do that too. Is it normal to see a little movement in the expansion tank after revving?

Check the viscous fan, Theres a few posts about exactly what to look for as i cant remember at the moment

The fan appears tp be fine so far as I can tell doda456. At the moment I'm thinking (hoping) stat on it's way or temporary blockage as it's been fine today. :unsure::(:rolleyes:;):o Got a run down to March and back tomorrow to pick up the missus biscuit tin so will keep an eye on it and see wot occurs. Glad I've got AA Relay! Dave.

Well, went to March yesterday and after about 30 miles I had to stick the heater on as the temp went up, but with heater on full blast the guage stayed slightly above half way for the rest of the journey and I thought it would be ok. After a couple of hours I set off home and only got a few miles before the temp went up again, so stuck the heater on and it helped for a while but then the gauge kept rising so I stopped and had a look under the bonnet and the expansion tank level was near the top :o so fearing the worst I thought sod this and called the AA, that's why I pay the membership after all and after about 3/4 hour the bloke arrived and thankfully he was a landy fan :D . He took one look at it and said "I've had a couple of these, dont think it's the head gasket, probably your stat" so he whipped out the stat and it was closed even though it was still pretty hot, knocked it's guts out, stuck it back in, did a few checks for head gasket etc and hey ho, sound as a pound. Followed me to a service station to get gas and it was fine. Yahoo. Mr Fridge was spot on. So today I've been to famous 4 and got a new stat and gasket, gave the rad a bit of a back flush, refilled with coolant and I'm a happy bunny. ;)