V8 90 SS manifold

Hi,

I am nearing the end of rebuilding my V8 and have recently purchased a full stainless steel exhaust but upon fitting the manifold I have found that the d/s manifold fouls the starter motor so I cannot tightened the bolts.

I questioned the manufacturer (Double SS) and they are asking if my engine is out of a 110 as they say the starter motor in a 110 is in a different location, does anyone know if this is correct?

I know for a fact that the V8 in my 90 is the factory standard as I have the original purchase papers.

Can anyone shed some light on this for me?

A different starter perhaps, but different location - Nah.

FWIW, On my Rimmer SS exhaust, it's feckin close to everthing on the O/S and needed a bit of a tap and a squeeze to get it in - oh, and moving the rear brake bias valve.

Hi,

I am nearing the end of rebuilding my V8 and have recently purchased a full stainless steel exhaust but upon fitting the manifold I have found that the d/s manifold fouls the starter motor so I cannot tightened the bolts.

I questioned the manufacturer (Double SS) and they are asking if my engine is out of a 110 as they say the starter motor in a 110 is in a different location, does anyone know if this is correct?

I know for a fact that the V8 in my 90 is the factory standard as I have the original purchase papers.

Hi,

2 types of starter, one larger in diameter than the other, the newer version fits later manifolds, I know I bought 2 new older designs as spares and they did not fit................ :(

One is direct drive the other design geared, cannot remember which way round!

Hi,

could it be that you have the older pre efi starter on it? which is bigger. as far as i am aware they never changed the position of the starter. and surely a 110 engine bay is the same as a 90 so it should fit either of these.

Thanks for the replies, Double SS have got back to me and are going to send a '110 version' which apparently is a bit flatter around the starter motor area, they tell me they have made many of these systems for V8 90's and never had an issue!!!!

I will await delivery tomorrow and maybe prepare by investigating an alternate starter motor

my 90 is 1986 which would be pre efi, correct?

could it be that you have the older pre efi starter on it? which is bigger. as far as i am aware they never changed the position of the starter. and surely a 110 engine bay is the same as a 90 so it should fit either of these.

Thanks for the replies, Double SS have got back to me and are going to send a '110 version' which apparently is a bit flatter around the starter motor area, they tell me they have made many of these systems for V8 90's and never had an issue!!!!

I will await delivery tomorrow and maybe prepare by investigating an alternate starter motor

my 90 is 1986 which would be pre efi, correct?

yeah that is correct, sounds like they sent you one for a efi type then. youwould have thought they would try and keep the exhaust away from the started realy.

If there is a 'fat' starter, I would suggest this is what you have. My SS runs v. close to the starter so any increase in diameter would cause an issue. I am pretty sure the bellhousing casting where the starter is located is the same for every RV8 engine, certainly in LR products.

One other thing to watch with the SS exhaust (certainly in my 110 anyway) is where the rear loom emerges from the chassis at the front, under the driver footwell is very close to the exhaust route. Even after wrapping the exhaust with insulation and the loom in that metal sock/tape stuff to protect it I am looking for a more satisfactory long term solution.

Mine also took quite a bit of jigging all over the place to fit properly.

If there is a 'fat' starter, I would suggest this is what you have. My SS runs v. close to the starter so any increase in diameter would cause an issue. I am pretty sure the bellhousing casting where the starter is located is the same for every RV8 engine, certainly in LR products.

One other thing to watch with the SS exhaust (certainly in my 110 anyway) is where the rear loom emerges from the chassis at the front, under the driver footwell is very close to the exhaust route. Even after wrapping the exhaust with insulation and the loom in that metal sock/tape stuff to protect it I am looking for a more satisfactory long term solution.

Mine also took quite a bit of jigging all over the place to fit properly.

Well, the manifold has been returned with a slightly flattened 2nd pipe which now allows me to tighten the manifold but I have about 1mm gap from the starter motor which as advised is not ideal, it has been suggested that I look into a High Torque starter motor but the I am choking at the cost....at least £150 upwards

Does anyone have experience of these or can confirm that I can get a 'slimmer' standard starter motor

Coastcard: thanks for the heads up, I will have a look into that

Post a pic! And I'll take a shot of my rimmers one to compare to.

Well, the manifold has been returned with a slightly flattened 2nd pipe which now allows me to tighten the manifold but I have about 1mm gap from the starter motor which as advised is not ideal, it has been suggested that I look into a High Torque starter motor but the I am choking at the cost....at least £150 upwards

Does anyone have experience of these or can confirm that I can get a 'slimmer' standard starter motor

Coastcard: thanks for the heads up, I will have a look into that

Post a pic! And I'll take a shot of my rimmers one to compare to.

gallery_10966_797_26736.jpg

gallery_10966_797_2339.jpg

Added pictures (1st time so hope it works) of original starter motor and new one that arrived this morning,quite a difference!! As you will see in the 'fitted' picture there is a gap of about 8-10mm between the header and the solenoid.

Although I am now able to fit the manifold, personally I am still concerned it will cause me issues in the future with the heat.

Will be interested if there are alternatives, this is the one thing stopping me getting the V8 back in the 90 and listening to that new exhaust for the 1st time :angry:

Dan