2wd Gearbox for Rover V8

Raumer

I am in the process of buying a landrover based safari style racer. :D It is based on a range rover chassis then with the normal roll cage etc.... and it's mid engined. :D It used to run with a 375hp turbocharged cosworth engine and gearbox then into a remote transfer box. The engine and gearbox were sold separately.

I have got a 3.5 V8 to try in it initially. The only issue is what gearbox to bolt the engine to that will then be suitable for a propshaft take off to the remote transfer box. Preferably I'd like to run an autobox and a cheap one! :rolleyes: Plan is to fit a different engine later on so this is only for trial.

Any suggestions?

Thanks

Ed

Assuming it's rear engined rather than mid, the first thing I would consider is the transmission tunnel. Not too much of an issue if it's just a couple of bits of angle and ali plate, but if it's intricate they can be a lot of work to modify. So best to get a box that will fit what you have.

Cheapest option for an auto would be the box from a SD1 Rover, I would have thought.

Finally, when you make the engine mounts they should be captive (if you are racing it). Most people use the axle end of a trailing arm and a bracket.

Good luck!

Thanks Steve. Can't see any SD1 boxes on ebay at the moment but hopefully one will turn up! The vehicle is indeed rear engined. Apparently it used to run with a modified bedford CF box - seemed an unusual choice to me. :unsure: My brother is going to do the work on it. Needs a refresh of paint, new seats fitting etc.... Will tell him to use captive engine mounts.

Will post photos once I've picked it up.

Ed