my wipers are parking in the upright position!?!

woody76

My wipers packed up a couple of months back so i fitted another motor (second hand off ebay) and all was well and passed the MOT.

yesterday they stuttered a bit then worked fine but now park in the upright postion!?! why??

can it be fixed or am i looking at yet another motor :(

Not sure if those links within links are going to answer the question as some of them were stalk and switch related.

In your case I suspect all that has happened is the crank arm on the motor has lipped some splines.

The shaft has a tapered splined section behind a thread. The crank arm has a hole with corresponding spline. When fitted to the motor a nut on the thread keeps the arm pressed onto the spline so if the nut loosens it will slip.

If I'm right then the fix is to further loosen the nut and position the wipers in park and tighten the nut.

The bummer is of course getting at it.

Steve

Not sure if those links within links are going to answer the question as some of them were stalk and switch related.

In your case I suspect all that has happened is the crank arm on the motor has lipped some splines.

The shaft has a tapered splined section behind a thread. The crank arm has a hole with corresponding spline. When fitted to the motor a nut on the thread keeps the arm pressed onto the spline so if the nut loosens it will slip.

If I'm right then the fix is to further loosen the nut and position the wipers in park and tighten the nut.

The bummer is of course getting at it.

Steve

Cheers Steve you were correct :D the star washer was nigh on useless so put a spring washer on and tightened it up (after moving to correct position of course)

Good result then. :D

Apx. a year ago I had a new screen fitted. The Fitter put the arms back a couple of splines out, & they wouldn't sweep to the right far enough.

The mucking about to rectify it was a PITA. @&%#$&%$@

1/32" at the shaft seems to equate to about 3"at the wiper tip. %$#*&%