What advise

Brad Chip

Im new to this site and would like to say hi to you all. I have just purchased my second Range Rover a 4.0 2001 HSE with 101K on the clock, the log book shows it has had regular services ;) . I am planning to change the oil and plugs this summer, and was just wondering if there were other areas i should consider maintaining/checking. Also i am considering purchasing the Brookland service manual from Paddocks for £55, has anyone else found this anygood? or would a Haynes manual be as good for £20? Also my paint number on the bonnet plate is 696 (if i recall correctly) is there a list of paint codes somewhere so i can go and get a touch up stick from Halfords as i dont know the exact colour? Ive looked for it but i assume the P38 has a cam chain rather than a belt, if all sounds quiet with the engine am i right in thinking this may never really need replacing? A lot of questions but would be gratefull for any advice. Thanks in advance, the sun is shining i may go and wash her. :D

I would start with the Haynes.

They tend to get bad press but I've noticed this comes primarily from those who know more about the car than average and fail to recognise that someone starting out with the car will find it a great help.

The front of the manual will include the service items, when to do them and point you at the chapters that show you how. A more advance manual may be too technical.

You may not have found the Tech Archive on here yet. It is worth looking there the find threads like paint codes

http://forums.lr4x4.com/index.php?showtopi...mp;#entry221533

Steve

As an owner of a 38A for 9 years my advise is that you are not in the best forum for your purposes.

While several forum regulars run 38As, they don't appear to be enthusiastic enough to answer a lot of questions.

I'll admit I don't keep a regular watch on other UK forums, but like this one, they tend to be called 'Range Rover', covering Classics as well as everything else.

www.RangeRovers.net is a good online resource anyway, has separate Forums for each type of Range Rover, and is where you will get more responses to any questions. More responses means more rubbish as well as more quality, but you won't be expecting perfection.

Whichever Forum you use, it's a good idea to put your Location in your Profile. Include your country in an International Forum like those on RangeRovers.net. There are plenty of other UK residents on there.

The Paddocks Brooklands book is described as a print of the pukka workshop manual, so it's good, if you are up to books prepared for trained mechanics. As another poster said, not everyone is, so sometimes a Haynes can be better BUT, as far as I know, there isn't a Haynes for a 38A.

Secondly, in LR 38A speak, a Workshop Manual is 95% Mechanical - but don't ignore the 5% Electrical.

The main Electrical information is in the Electrical Troubleshooting Manual (ETM). From Land Rover this was separate publication, at another ~£55.00.

I'm not familiar with the Brooklands WM, but I suspect it also does not cover the ETM.

Practically, most people download a RAVE CD2 Image from the GreenOval site, as it's more or less free.

http://green-oval.com/joomla/index.php?opt...3&Itemid=29

You have to convert the Image into a CD, then I suggest you copy the whole CD onto your Hard Drive, maintaining the directory structure. Create a shortcut to the RAVE.EXE file in the root directory of the CD.

Rave has both WM and ETM, also some Technical Bulletins, although perhaps not those that cover a 2001 model. When you have confirmed / corrected your Paint Code number I suspect the answer will be in there somewhere.

You can use looking for it as a necessary training session. Hint, don't ignore the Search facility within the PDF Reader.

Search this site for RAVE and you may pick up more tips.

Good Luck, and welcome to the 38A world.