Heater problem HELP

ukspike

Discovery heater help needed please, brought private a TD 5 three weeks ago on a 04 plate, and then found out the heater does not work properly, so got on the old flebay and got another control panel and still it don't work, let me explain, the heater will only work if I put the fan speed on full, all the bars in the display on, in this situation it works very well but is very noisy, it will not work on any of the other fan speeds, I have now tried two control panels and still it don't work, any one else had this problem and if so what's the cure please. Many thanks John

I don't know for sure as I don't know the exact mechanism for achieving the various speeds (a Defender uses a ballast resistor) but the motor or whatever controls the other speeds would seem to be the next port of call. I've not heard of a problem with them and I see quite a few at work.

On the D2 models without A/C the blower has only 4 speeds and there is a resistor pack for the first 3 speeds of the motor.

I guess ukspike's D2 has A/C, in which case the blower has 31 speeds which are controlled by the ACT ecu. Speeds 1 to 30 are achieved through a power transistor whereas the 31st speed (full blast) is obtained by feeding the motor through a relay. So I guess the power transistor is toast.

There are 5 steps only in manual mode whereas in auto mode the ATC ecu uses all 31 steps.

In manual mode you cycle through steps 3, 10, 16, 22 and 31.

It would have been awkward to push the button or to keep it depressed to cycle through 31 steps. On the other hand, the auto mode needs a more accurate control of the blower speed in order to do what's supposed to - keep the temp constant and without fluctuating the climate settings (cold/hot air dosage and blower speed) too often.

You will see that in auto mode the blower icon with the 5 steps disappears which means you will be in the "31 steps" mode.

On the D2 models without A/C the blower has only 4 speeds and there is a resistor pack for the first 3 speeds of the motor.

I guess ukspike's D2 has A/C, in which case the blower has 31 speeds which are controlled by the ACT ecu. Speeds 1 to 30 are achieved through a power transistor whereas the 31st speed (full blast) is obtained by feeding the motor through a relay. So I guess the power transistor is toast.

Hi fella's thanks for the help, cipx2 where is the resistor pack if you think this is the problem, I have been told today that this could be the problem by someone else, as the fan is working ok flat out, or if it's the act ecu, where are they which one would you replace first, many thanks. Spike

ukspike, you didn't say if your vehicle has A/C or not.

If it does not have A/C => there is only a resistor pack (and no ACT ecu)

If it has A/C => it has a power transistor and an ACT ecu (and no resistor pack for the front blower).

You asked about the resistor pack and the ACT ecu :huh: .... now that's very confusing ...

In both cases the resistor pack or the power transistor are placed with their radiator in the air flow duct behind the glovebox.

I'd suggest to do some tests with a multimeter to see if the power transistor or the resistor pack gets the appropriate signals (voltage) from the either the ACT ecu or the blower switch (respectively) - depending on the configuration you seem to hide from us :)

But if you want to keep using the method "let's replace bits one by one until the system will start working" then try replacing the resistor pack or the power transistor.

ukspike, you didn't say if your vehicle has A/C or not.

If it does not have A/C => there is only a resistor pack (and no ACT ecu)

If it has A/C => it has a power transistor and an ACT ecu (and no resistor pack for the front blower).

You asked about the resistor pack and the ACT ecu :huh: .... now that's very confusing ...

In both cases the resistor pack or the power transistor are placed with their radiator in the air flow duct behind the glovebox.

I'd suggest to do some tests with a multimeter to see if the power transistor or the resistor pack gets the appropriate signals (voltage) from the either the ACT ecu or the blower switch (respectively) - depending on the configuration you seem to hide from us :)

But if you want to keep using the method "let's replace bits one by one until the system will start working" then try replacing the resistor pack or the power transistor.

Sorry, it has got AC, if it helps at all it's a es premuim, replacing bits second hand one by one till it works still could work out much cheaper than going to the garage, well I hope so. Spike