Brake drum removal?

Eightpot

Picked up a freelander recently and the brakes are the worst I've ever come across - fronts were seized solid and rusted up and the rear drums seem pretty corroded round the edges too.

I need to get them off to check the shoes - I've removed the retainer screws and given them a light 'tap' with a club hammer and they don't shift.

Before I give them a heavy tap with a sledge hammer, do the shoes normally need backing off first - I can't see any signs of an adjuster on the backplate?

They do stick to the hub with rust. Make sure the handbrake cable is very slack - even when released. Squirt WD40 through the holes and around the inner ring where it fits on the hub. Let the WD soak in for a while and then clout aroung the oitside rim of the drum. Try to apply leverage to it is well - between the back plate and drum edge. It'll let go eventually.

Les.