help needed!! clutch jammed and now it wont start!

series 3

okay il admit off the bat that this problem is with my capri but im realy up **** creek with this one and my capri forum isnt yielding any answers yet.

so i figured y not ask you guys as the response hear is always brilliant.

i started it and tried to put it into gear

nothing happened

so i killed the engine and put it into first trying to jolt the clutch plates apart

tryed to turn over the engine and it didnt do anything.

it wont even turn over!

so am now stuck with a car jammed in first that wont start.

please please please give me some advise on what to do next im properly stuck with this one

also brakes are jammed so pushing would be deadly

thanx

i started it and tried to put it into gear

nothing happened

Did you get any horrible crunching noise?

so i killed the engine and put it into first trying to jolt the clutch plates apart

tryed to turn over the engine and it didnt do anything.

it wont even turn over!

also brakes are jammed so pushing would be deadly

In gear, brakes jammed, not suprised it didn't turn over.

only crunched when i tried to put it into reverse. other gears just wouldnt go in. felt like brick wall stopping gear from going in, no forcing it in or out.

went into all gears when engine was switched off no problem.

going to remove back brake pads so the rear wheels can turn, then with it jacked up gonna turn it over again and see if it jolts the plates apart#

is this a feasible solution?

going to remove back brake pads so the rear wheels can turn, then with it jacked up gonna turn it over again and see if it jolts the plates apart#

is this a feasible solution?

Not really, if the wheels turn there is no resistance to seperate the clutch.

You really need to drop the gearbox and dismantle the clutch.

Some people would put the car into TOP gear, apply the brakes hard and try to start the engine - entirely at your own risk.

okay so that aint gonna unstick the clutch. but if i could get it into neutral again and back to square one i could push it into my garage and work on it there.

what about using the clutchless shift technique, the one where if youre driving along you can change gear without disengaging the clutch. maybe i start it jacked up and find the rev range and wheel speed that allows me to shift outa first and back to neutral.

in answer to rich p, its a cable clutch and ive checked it, its definetly connected and i still have that clutch "feel" at the pedal.

will that work?

You'd be better off in top gear.

1) 1st will try to spin the clutch quickly with less torque, you want as much torque as you can get to free the clutch.

2) Top goes straight through the gearbox so you won't be stressing the layshaft.

okay things are looking up.

its back in nuetral now. i jacked it up and removed the hubs from the rear brakes. the drop on tension allowed the gear to pop out no problem.

so what do i do next?

should i try it in top gear? "at your own risk" keeps getting used alot, what could i break by doing this?

i suppose i dont realy have a choice as the only other option is removal and dismantling. and i dont fancy doing that in my driveway when my garage is only 6 foot away (getting it in requires a three point turn and im on my own today, otherwise id push it).

yes, use top gear.

You need the wheels & brakes back on & working.

Get the engine warmed up so it'll start easily, if you're on your own towing won't be an option.

Engine off, top gear, brakes hard on and start the engine, the clutch should free, or a half-shaft will snap, the mainshaft in the gearbox could snap, the centre could tear out of the clutch, the brakes may not hold and you'll smash into something - the list of exciting events goes on really!

You take the risk!

well it didnt budge an inch in the end. i ended up knocking on me neighbors doors and asking for a push (friendly bunch of folks round my way :) )

so its in the garage now and since i was gonna remove and overhaul the gearbox and engine anyway its just one more job to add to the list.

i actualy got more advice on this site than my capri forum :huh:, but maybe they were just busy or summit .

thanks a mil to all who helped.