Questions about the Freebie Commercial

nomis21

Hi, just became a owner of a freebie commercial, its year 2000 on a W plate 2.0litre TD. Iam happy with my new purchase but need some help.

I just have a few questions for anyone that can help. I have tried to find out if this is the Bmw engine ? iam not sure, i know its not a K model so guessing its an L ? Checked log book and it does not state, can anyone give me any clues and tell me if i need to be aware of any problems with this engine.

Also does anyone know what tyre pressures should be on a swb commercial? The freebie handles well but sways a little and iam guessing i need time to adjust to a 4x4 or the tyre`s are low on air?

I bought the freebie with a known fault, the seller made me aware that the prop shaft bearing was whining and will need replaced soon, he informed me it was a relatively cheap and easy job to fix saying a new bearing would cost 20 quid or so, can anyone advise me if it is as cheap and easy job to do? and is there anywhere on the net that i can read on how to do this fix.

Last question, although my freebie is in good condition but it does need a few minor bits and bobs, can anyone advise me if there is a good internet site for spare`s?

I would appreciate any help

Thanks

can't anserw all your questions, but...

The BMW engine is badged as a TD4, the 2.0l L series engines are not badged as as such. I think W is a little early for the TD4, but I stand to be corrected. My dad had an early one on an X plate from new....

Spares? eBay has loads of freelander bits, new and secondhand. Not sure on a good place other than that online though....

hth

Mark

Hi, just became a owner of a freebie commercial, its year 2000 on a W plate 2.0litre TD. Iam happy with my new purchase but need some help.

I just have a few questions for anyone that can help. I have tried to find out if this is the Bmw engine ? iam not sure, i know its not a K model so guessing its an L ? Checked log book and it does not state, can anyone give me any clues and tell me if i need to be aware of any problems with this engine.

Also does anyone know what tyre pressures should be on a swb commercial? The freebie handles well but sways a little and iam guessing i need time to adjust to a 4x4 or the tyre`s are low on air?

I bought the freebie with a known fault, the seller made me aware that the prop shaft bearing was whining and will need replaced soon, he informed me it was a relatively cheap and easy job to fix saying a new bearing would cost 20 quid or so, can anyone advise me if it is as cheap and easy job to do? and is there anywhere on the net that i can read on how to do this fix.

Last question, although my freebie is in good condition but it does need a few minor bits and bobs, can anyone advise me if there is a good internet site for spare`s?

I would appreciate any help

Thanks

On a W it will probably be the L Series diesel, this is a bulletproof engine. Only problem is the fuel pump pully spinning on the shaft. No Head gasket problems or anything.

Best place for parts is ebay or Island4x4.co.uk. Often cheaper than the traders on Ebay.

As has been said, you have the L series diesel. Excellent engine that will go on for ever if serviced properly.

Tyre pressures should be 30psi all round.

VCU support bearings are about £20 each. Replace both. Can be done in an afternoon at home. Buy proper ones and not pattern parts!!