Leaking Rear Windows - Best Sealant?

The rear side windows in my 90 are not Land Rover ones, they are held in with a rubber surround onto the cut panel edge with a further locking rubber strip which is supposed to 'lock' the main seal. It's an old idea and many auto windows are held in like this. Trouble is, the seals leak. The water leaking in corroded the surrounding panels and left water blisters and corrosion under the paint - on both sides of the panels. Last year I removed it all, rubbed it down and resprayed and got an RAC windscreen depot to refit the windows - I couldn't do it as I don't have the special tools needed to manipulate the seals and the locking strips and they used a black auto sealant under the strip. It's just as bad again - the sealant seems to have dried and I have the panels out again. I was intending to replace the panels with others with genuine windows (from a breaker) but the cost is a bit daunting as well as having to buy them unseen (I live 500 miles from the ones I've found).. Anyone any ideas whether there's a better sealant or method of refixing them? The windows are slightly bigger than any others, so I can't fit different windows. Thanks for any replies..

Guest wunntenn

Go to Caley Marina or Gaelforce in Inverness and get black yacht sealer/mastic - this stuff. I figured if it works on yachts below water it will work on a Landy above water.

I used it on the alpine lights and leaking windscreen and after two winters its still sound, unlike the silicone sealant which I had to do every year (more like every six months). I recently fitted two small side windows in my 110 and it's been perfect for them too. Its £17 a tube but looks like better value than the case of silicone I'd used up until now.

You can fit different windows - get them made by these folks - Vehicle Windows they made two for me to my own dimensions - very neat alloy, vented section and rivet in. Get a quote and see how it compares to genuine from the breakers. I've no connection with the company other than finding them excellent to deal with and producing a first class product.

Jmac

(5 miles east of Inverness)

Guest wunntenn

Oops - just checked in the garage as I thought that £17 was more than I paid - I gave you the wrong number its 3M 4200 FC, and if I recall correctly it was about £10 or so. Its an utter pig to get out of the tube so be prepared to wrestle with it, I warmed the tube on the central heating before use.

I used 'Gold Label Pond/Aquarium Sealer' that the sales rep for the company that makes it gave me for free last summer (I work in an aquatics store).

http://www.aquatics-online.co.uk/catalogue...rium-sealer.asp

We do it where I work for £20 odd for a full tube. It sticks pretty much anything to anything (metal, wood, plastic, glass etc), and sealed up my leaking roof a goodun. Holds very well too, just don't get it on yourself ;)

Thanks for both replies. Either way, I can imagine the mess I will get in! If you see someone apparently attached to the side of a 90, it'll be me... Wunntenn, are you in the Highland 4WD Club?? I'll certainly investigate getting bigger windows. I've fitted two pairs of 'rivet-in' windows (Landy ones) and never had a problem with them..