Play in rear differential

It would be much appreciated if you could have a look at this video I made from my propshaft/rear differential.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yNLv1Y0U58A

Ist that much play acceptable or is the diff close to failure? I also have occasional clongs when cornering and I don't think it's the ball joint. (not regularly, just once a week but it doesnt sound healthy. you can actually feel it)

I have to replace the diff pinion seal anyway. However if the diff is worn considerably i may relace the diff completely. I know it can be done with a reset of the shims, but I doubt that this can be done with sufficient accuracy in the yard.

Many thanks in advance for your input.

I think I was given the answer to that in another post.

Someone gave me the hint that it may be that I have a Detriot locker fittet. This would explain many other issues as well.

Would be happy to accept that there is no mechanical problem rather than a performance improvement off road.

I think I was given the answer to that in another post.

Someone gave me the hint that it may be that I have a Detriot locker fittet. This would explain many other issues as well.

Would be happy to accept that there is no mechanical problem rather than a performance improvement off road.

how do you tell if you have a detroit locker fitted?

CURLY

If you have a detroit locker fitted, it should be obvious. Jack up the rear (both wheels) and turn the prop. If both wheels turn in the same direction, then you have a detroit locker (or similar). If they spin in different directions, then it's a "normal" diff. (Try this with diff oil cold for best results :))

Also, with one wheel held steady and the other spun, you should hear the detroit unlock (never tried this, but the locker works by unlocking the wheel that's spinning quicker than the input shaft so it sounds logical).

It shouldn't be clicking to unlock by your turning the prop - the unlocking is determined by the wheel speed/input difference and not the prop.

For what it's worth, I have a detroit locker and it's rock solid, nowhere near any amount of play like that. What you're hearing there sounds very scary to me (edit: though I just listened again, and it sounds like more like something popping - so maybe it's a locker other than a detroit?)

What are the other issues ? What's the take-up like when you let the clutch out, do you always hear the bang then ?

(and which end of the prop is the bangs coming from?)

For what it's worth, I have a detroit locker and it's rock solid, nowhere near any amount of play like that. What you're hearing there sounds very scary to me (edit: though I just listened again, and it sounds like more like something popping - so maybe it's a locker other than a detroit?)

What are the other issues ? What's the take-up like when you let the clutch out, do you always hear the bang then ?

(and which end of the prop is the bangs coming from?)

I can'y locate the bang exactly, but I'm quite sure that it's the rear propshaft spinning free until it comes to a halt in the rear diff. Exactly as you can see on the video. However, there is also a considerable, but very occasional clong which is not related to the A-frame ball joint. This comes from the rear axle as well.

Here is the text from another thread which led me to the conclusion with the detroit locker:

"From your explaination you can turn a wheel with hand brake applied, clicking somtimes back and forth somtimes only forwards etc it sounds like you have a detroit locker fitted to the diff. This will somtimes make funny bangs (lockup) on the road if you are exiting a corner sharpish or loose traction on one wheel it will make a noise and transfer the drive to the slowest wheel. It will also feel a bit weird to drive on the road. Does it sound like its ratcheting around when you spin one wheel when jacked up and hand brake is applied? Do you have to give it a bit of effort to get it to ratchet or click around?

Sorry loads of questions it may just be a fooked diff but you may be lucky and have a locker fitted. Jai"

And that was my reply:

" Yop, that's approzimately exactly how it is.

The guy who sold it mentioned something about a difflock, but I didn't believe so far. Thougth he probably ment the TX box standard lock.

Would be very happy if that would be the case

Does "It will also feel a bit weird to drive on the road." mean that you can feel tendencies turning in the one or the other direction when either accelerating "hard" or suddenly taking the foot off the pedal.

That would explain many mysteries at once."

What other locks are there other than detroit wick work automatically without auxillary input (power, air)?

Regardless of what diff you have fitted you should not have play like that!

their should be approx 4 thou of backlash between the crown wheel and pinion, and the splines on your hub ends should be nice n tight too. you may get some play inside the diff through the internal gears but the amount you have there is only going to damage something.

I'd suggest taking it out and having a proper inspection before it's too late.

Steve

This will somtimes make funny bangs (lockup) on the road if you are exiting a corner sharpish or loose traction on one wheel it will make a noise and transfer the drive to the slowest wheel

Not quite how the detroit works - the locker is always engaged, but whenever a wheel starts turning faster (so, the outside one when you're on a roundabout) than the input, then the faster one dis-engages. It doesn't transfer drive to the slowest - it disengages drive from the fastest (as is my understanding :)).

Unless the roundabout is covered in snow or ice and there isn't enough torque fed back from the road surface to cause the would-be-faster wheel to disengage. In which case all hell (and your rear end) may break loose ;)

• 2 weeks later...

Does "It will also feel a bit weird to drive on the road." mean that you can feel tendencies turning in the one or the other direction when either accelerating "hard" or suddenly taking the foot off the pedal.

Take a look at your trailing arm bushes. Most likely the ones that attach to the chassis have play in them.

• 3 weeks later...