suicidal engine

rockyrock

hi all i have a 94 discovery es 3.9 v8 with a single point gas installation. i recently had a problem with poor running which turned out to be the air hose between the air flow meter and the plenum, changed and ran great for about 10 miles. then i lost power, kept stalling and had to limp home. now it will start the revs go straight to about 1500 them almost imediately drop to about 1000 then the engine starts hunting and eventually dies. i know i need to run the hotwire diags and will do as soon as i get time, has anyone experienced this fault and if so what caused it. Finally does anybody know a trustworthy mobile mechanic in the south birmingham area with a fault code reader who could sort me out as i am realy short on time at the moment.

thanks for any help

Just had exactly the same symptoms on mine. Went through the whole lot, plugs, leads, rotor arm, coil, amplifier etc...

Then handed it over to a professional who discovered the bob weights in the distributor were worn. One new distributor later later and she was running as sweete as a nut. Well almost. Due to all the popping and farting that ha been done, the AFM had given up the ghost so a new (second hand) one was called for. Hopefully it will go through an MOT on Monday.

BTW, they diagnosed the bob weight issue by taking the distributor out, filling it with releasing oil, putting it back in and then running the whole thing up. Ran fine until the releasing oil ran out.

HTH,

Paul

Just had exactly the same symptoms on mine. Went through the whole lot, plugs, leads, rotor arm, coil, amplifier etc...

Then handed it over to a professional who discovered the bob weights in the distributor were worn. One new distributor later later and she was running as sweete as a nut. Well almost. Due to all the popping and farting that ha been done, the AFM had given up the ghost so a new (second hand) one was called for. Hopefully it will go through an MOT on Monday.

BTW, they diagnosed the bob weight issue by taking the distributor out, filling it with releasing oil, putting it back in and then running the whole thing up. Ran fine until the releasing oil ran out.

HTH,

Paul

thanks for that i will try it and see afm sounds about right too if it is going to go wrong might as well be expensive

Idle air control valve on the rear of the OS engine bank is a favourite. Remove, clean with carby cleaner, oil spindle & reset distance. Also check that it's plate is tight & sealed (3 screws)

Electronic contact cleaner jetted into the AFM Bypass canal to clean the hotwire is another favourite. (why LR did not select a self cleaning hot wire model is beyond me. Some manufacturers do use those. A higher electric current flows through it at switch off of ignition & supposedly burns off any airborne carp)

One suspect I found recently ( can't prove it yet) was the cleaning of the hard to access 3 pin plug under the throttle body to the Throttle Potentiometer. It had never been touched since vehicle assy in '95 & I suspect needed the pins & plug hitting with Electronic Contact Cleaner.

Seems ok now anyway.