Ignition Switched 12V Supply?

geoffbeaumont

Building the wiring loom for the Megasquirt and EDIS at the moment. Where's the best place to pick up an ignition switched 12V supply for the coil packs and EDIS controller? I could just run them back under the drivers seat with the wiring to the Megasquirt and pick it up there, but I guess I should pick it up close to the immobiliser? Where is that, anyway?

I'm not all that fussed about the security angle - any car thief with half a brain will just cut the loom in the engine bay and connect it straight to the battery anyway.

It might get patched in under the seat for now and moved later if the 'right' place is a pain to get at.

errr - dunno . . . EFI too fancy fer me!

as for IGN signal . . . i took mine straight off the loom running to the key barrel.

It's not a signal, it's the actual power supply so probably relatively high ampage. Not really suitable for wiring into the key barrel.

It's not a signal, it's the actual power supply so probably relatively high ampage. Not really suitable for wiring into the key barrel.

in which case, if you want to ensure a good clean supply then i would use the barrel IGN wire to control a solenoid which then feeds the system directly off the battery.

clean, simple, plenty of juice and unlikely to be affected by any alternative current draws.