p38 diesel overheating....normal?!

Hi friends!!

New here!....and need to comment My problem (hope my english is not too bad...I´m from Canary Islands,Spain).

Recently have a RR p38 2.5 DSE.........I had the gear box new from ashcroft...goes well.......had a new radiator, new hoses,new water pump and new thermostat...new everything.....the engine goes perfect in sound,no smoke,no deposits in the oil engine cap, etc........

Filled the sistem with coolant water and gave if a drive(the needle normaly sits at 12 on mine....here is pretty hot normaly)......it goes hot.......just up to one oclock........to the white line...doesnt go to red and no red light goes on. When the car is parked with engine on......temperature is ok. When you drive in horizontal the temperature doesnt move...when you go down hill it goes a bit down.....but when you go uphill it goes up.....not to the red as I said. The normal ambient temperature here in canary islands goes from 25 to 40 ºC (77 F to 105 F I think the conversion is right!!)

¿Could it be air in the system?.......Could it be the head gasket?...Dont know what to think!?

Hope you can help!

Thanks!

Hi friends!!

New here!....and need to comment My problem (hope my english is not too bad...I´m from Canary Islands,Spain).

Recently have a RR p38 2.5 DSE.........I had the gear box new from ashcroft...goes well.......had a new radiator, new hoses,new water pump and new thermostat...new everything.....the engine goes perfect in sound,no smoke,no deposits in the oil engine cap, etc........

Filled the sistem with coolant water and gave if a drive(the needle normaly sits at 12 on mine....here is pretty hot normaly)......it goes hot.......just up to one oclock........to the white line...doesnt go to red and no red light goes on. When the car is parked with engine on......temperature is ok. When you drive in horizontal the temperature doesnt move...when you go down hill it goes a bit down.....but when you go uphill it goes up.....not to the red as I said. The normal ambient temperature here in canary islands goes from 25 to 40 ºC (77 F to 105 F I think the conversion is right!!)

¿Could it be air in the system?.......Could it be the head gasket?...Dont know what to think!?

Hope you can help!

Thanks!

Hi!!!

Today I didi what you said.......started the car,ran it....it got hot........when that happend I turn the engine off....then on...the neddle on the temp gauge went up to the same position.........te gauge must be right!?

What I find is that untill the temperature doesnt go up to about 1 oclock.....the viscous fan doesnt start to spin hard.....and sometimes you dont hear it much at all.......¿is the fan caput?

The temperature sensor must be right because it moves quite well up and down.....?

So....resume....it keeps overheating......but no watter in oil....oil in water...nothing!???

Cant figure out what can be.....but sure goes hot!!

Any ideas?

Thanks all!

If the viscous fan locks and blows air very hard sometimes then that is working OK . It would also tend to show that thermostat is working as it is allowing hot water from engine into rad , which triggers viscous fan . This getting hot , is guage staying in normal range , i.e. not going into RED . IF yes then all is OK . Is transmission over heat warning coming on (auto) ? If no then this is showing as well that all is normal . My 2.5 dse generally runs cool (in UK) even with aircon on . It would be worthwhile replacing temp transmitter for your own peace of mind . If vehicle is not blowing water out (steaming) from expansion tank then also shows things are OK . HTSH