tyre scrubbing

Got me stumped this has:

my 90 has a habit of scrubbing the outer edge of the front passenger side tyre. The tracking was checked last year, and by myself by the forum guide afterwards, all seemed fine there. It seems to pull to the left mildly, but if the tracking is ok, then surely the radius arm bushes must be worn? again these have been changed and seem ok.

any ideas chaps?

:huh:

Got me stumped this has:

my 90 has a habit of scrubbing the outer edge of the front passenger side tyre. The tracking was checked last year, and by myself by the forum guide afterwards, all seemed fine there. It seems to pull to the left mildly, but if the tracking is ok, then surely the radius arm bushes must be worn? again these have been changed and seem ok.

any ideas chaps?

:huh:

Have a look through this handy wheel alignment guide: I recoken its a worn swivel pin bearing (camber) issue.

Tracking usually causes wear on the insides.

Outer edge wear on the NSF is either caused by you understeering round every roundabout in town ;) or a camber issue with that wheel.

Its quite common to see shoulder wear on the NSF of cars that get ragged around a lot, as roundabouts are all right hand turns meaning the NSF is under most load.

Its not unconcievable that a heavy 4x4 with plastic tyres that dont grip very well could be on the verge of understeer rather easily.

if its a camber issue, try the following:

Boost along a motorway or similar for 10-15mins, at high speed. (ie 70)

Pull off, and immediately get out and feel the temperature of the tyres.

If its camber, the outer edge of the tyre will be hotter than the inside, the tyre ideally should be a uniform temperature.

Had exactly this problem on our A4 when some of the balljoints in the control arms went, one side of the tyre was a LOT hotter than the other after any high speed driving.

If its a camber issue, the outer edge of the tyres sidewall will be hotter than the inside (assuming positive camber), as the camber means that more of the vehicles weight is being supported by that side of the tyre.

If the tyre temperature is uniform across the tread, then i dont think its a camber issue.