Discovery 300TDI Turbo upgrade

Penguindonkey

If possible I would like to gain a bit more cruising speed from my 300TDI auto which already has modified ECU, upgraded intercooler, modified head, big bore exhaust, EGR removed.

I think that the next move is a bigger turbo there seem to be two options a VNT turbo for about £1200 or an upgraded 'standard' version for about half the price both from allisport.

has anyone any experience with either ot are there other options available?

I have also upgraded the brakes and discs etc

Thanks in advance for any advice

It is a turner head and to be honest I’m not sure that I saw that much of a difference reports on forums by others say they are very good.

The exhaust was by Griffin, beautifully made and really nice guy to deal with. This did seem to make a difference, makes a wonderful noise at least to my ears and is not intrusive. Although a lot of money, very pleased with it and as I intend to keep the disco long term is hopefully a sound investment.

The exhaust and head were fitted within a few days of each other so I can’t really confirm just what.

The biggest difference was changing the so called performance intercooler that the previous owner had fitted made by a well known company who just use their initials. I did contact them in the first case but they were not interested in discussing anything to do with such an old vehicle and basically said buy something newer. So much for customer service, I will never use them for anything.

Following much searching, talking and discussion I had fitted an Allisport intercooler and tuning module fitted which has made a huge difference and is very noticeable if you disconnect the module. These again are really nice and helpful guys to deal with and can not praise them enough for their customer service.

I was aware that Allards made Turbo’s I’m interested in what experience people have had who have done the upgrade pretty much in the same way that you are regarding head and exhaust information.

Fitting a VNT is a considerable expense.

Regards

Ian

From my experience I'd go for an uprated standard unit,VNT's are a pain in the ar-e,TD4 and TD6 both use them.They either just fall apart or the variable linkage tends to jam.They are not very repairable,none of the turbo reconditioners seem to be able to do anything with them.Even worse are the electronically controlled VNT ones - even more to go wrong,I just cant see whats wrong with a simple flap.