Oil on inside of wheel?

Josh

Hi all, im running a 300tdi discovery and could do with some advice please,

Noticed today that there was some diff oil on the inside of the rear wheel. #

After a quick google search and a consultation with the haynes manual i was directed towards investigating the hub seal/ bearing and breather. The hub sounds and feels fine when the wheel is jacked up and i rotate it, no excessive play side to side either.

I then checked the breather pipe............. which was completly blocked so im going to assume a pressure build up caused the leak???????

Is it likley i will need to replace the hub oil seal?

Thanks

Josh

Hi all, im running a 300tdi discovery and could do with some advice please,

Noticed today that there was some diff oil on the inside of the rear wheel. #

After a quick google search and a consultation with the haynes manual i was directed towards investigating the hub seal/ bearing and breather. The hub sounds and feels fine when the wheel is jacked up and i rotate it, no excessive play side to side either.

I then checked the breather pipe............. which was completly blocked so im going to assume a pressure build up caused the leak???????

Is it likley i will need to replace the hub oil seal?

Thanks

Josh

Clean the breather, drain and replace the diff oil and you should be ok. You will probably see dirty oil probably contaminated with water.

Also, make sure that no oil contaminated the brake pads.

If the breather is blocked, then when the diff warms up the air inside expands and creates pressure that then pushes oil past the hub seal. The seal may not have 'popped', so clearing the breather may be all that needs doing. Apart from replacing the seals, your best bet is to clean it up and see what happens. Get a jet washer in there and blast all the oil out, but be careful not to get any on the brakes.

Les.

Thanks for the replies,

Cleaned the breather and then drained the diff and replaced the oil this afternoon, looks like its fixed it. There so sign of leakage but after closer inspection of the brake pads they will need replacing.

Thanks for your help!spot on as always.