Things That Go Bonk

Okay all of you defender wizards.

I have a small problem, when turning into a right hand corner i get a bonk noise which seems to be coming from around the rear axel area, sorry that i cannot be more exact. Have tried to tie the wife to the underneath to listen where its coming from, but she wasn't having any of it Any suggestion's what it might be.

I have a small problem, when turning into a right hand corner i get a bonk noise which seems to be coming from around the rear axel area, sorry that i cannot be more exact. Have tried to tie the wife to the underneath to listen where its coming from, but she wasn't having any of it Any suggestion's what it might be.

In order, Rear A-frame ball joint, rear A-frame bushes, trailing arm bushes.

To find out which, park the car on a suitable surface, lie under it left to right on your back and push against the chassis with your feet, observing the above items. By changing sides and repeating you should be able to find the worn bit (it probably won't clonk, but you will be able to find relative movement by feel)

If you do need new bushes etc., it may be worth checking the front end too. The Panhard Rod is easy - lie underneath and get SWMBO to wiggle the steering wheel (or vice versa :P )

In order, Rear A-frame ball joint, rear A-frame bushes, trailing arm bushes.

To find out which, park the car on a suitable surface, lie under it left to right on your back and push against the chassis with your feet, observing the above items. By changing sides and repeating you should be able to find the worn bit (it probably won't clonk, but you will be able to find relative movement by feel)

If you do need new bushes etc., it may be worth checking the front end too. The Panhard Rod is easy - lie underneath and get SWMBO to wiggle the steering wheel (or vice versa :P )

And try HFH's sage advice in this post.

i had this last week, but on left hand corners. Drove me mad and i ended up prying all the bushes and doing lots of head scratching.

until the wife came out with a cuppa and asked why i had 2 D shackles attached to the rear lap belts in the back.

!DOH!

lightbulb moment, shackles would swing out and bang on the side of the tub on left handers..............

I have a replacement a-frame ball joint,new drop-links and bushes etc to fit to the rear of my "bonking" defender,just need time and weather to co-operate! until then i find No. 24 on the stereo stops the annoying noises! :lol: